Black Screen after installing AMD Video drivers, Win 8.1, Asus laptop N56

gbryang

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
Hello all,
I have an ASUS laptop, N56 series, with Windows 8.1. Yesterday I tried installing the new AMD graphics drivers. Everything was going well. The laptop rebooted said it was installing updates, it got to 30%, rebooted again and went to a black screen. I rebooted the machine because I thought it got hung up and it went back to the black screen.
Here are the things that I have tried and none have worked.
1. Safe mode. It will not go into safe mode when I choose the option too. I have tried about 10 times.
2. Safe mode w/ networking. Same as above.
3. Low Resolution mode. Same as above
4. System restore. Does not work either. The machine has 3 system restore points. I have tried all three and none have worked.
5. Command prompt. This actually works and brings up a system window, which tells me the graphics card is not bad.

The thing with the command prompt is that it shows it as X:\system32 instead of C:\system32. Can I un-install the graphics drivers from the command prompt? If so how?

I do not have a recovery disk as the machine did not ship with one.

I do have a Windows 7 install disk, can I downgrade to that and keep all of my files without losing them?

Thanks for any help anyone might provide. This has got to be the most frustrating computer incident I have delt with.

Bryan

Solution
use a linux on cd distro to copy files you need (knoppix for example can run from dvd or usb stick) and copy any files you may need to either a d partition (if you have multiple partitions) or to external storage.

when you reinstall windows your c drive gets wiped.

edit: if it's an intel with amd dedicated graphics you can probably go into bios and disable the discreet graphics and this should force windows to revert to the old graphics driver. if it's an amd apu... this won't work.

laviniuc

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
use a linux on cd distro to copy files you need (knoppix for example can run from dvd or usb stick) and copy any files you may need to either a d partition (if you have multiple partitions) or to external storage.

when you reinstall windows your c drive gets wiped.

edit: if it's an intel with amd dedicated graphics you can probably go into bios and disable the discreet graphics and this should force windows to revert to the old graphics driver. if it's an amd apu... this won't work.

Solution