Black screen can't access bios

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I have built many desktops overr the years but am trying to trouble shoot a Toshiba Satellite for a friend. It is model L655D-S5093. When you press power cpu fan runs at full speed and the screen is black. No bios, no cursers nothing. Tried switching out battery, switched RAM around, made sure brightness was turned up all to no avail. I get no bios post beep but not sure if laptops all beep when bios posts. I really do not have enough knowledge to dissasemble a laptop and truthfulyl do not want to. Tried all the F2, F8 and DEL to get into bios but get nothing. Even if thr HD was bad I should still be able to get into bios. I am thinking either the MOBO or CPU are bad. Any ideas Thanks

Solution
Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkP5KiCS9fE

With laptops, some of the time the issue lies with the cable that connects the mobo to the display. The short circuit makes the laptop start but doesn't give out any beeps even if u remove ram, hdd, etc. So ... it might be worth to disconnect the cable and try with an external monitor to see if there's any change.
Best of luck

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkP5KiCS9fE

With laptops, some of the time the issue lies with the cable that connects the mobo to the display. The short circuit makes the laptop start but doesn't give out any beeps even if u remove ram, hdd, etc. So ... it might be worth to disconnect the cable and try with an external monitor to see if there's any change.
Best of luck

Solution

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
SpadeM probably hit it right on the nose. I had a Toshiba with the same problem and got the display to light up by squeezing the display at the base. After opening the machine the cable connected to the mobo was loose at the point where it connected to the display. I believe that you have a connector on the side that can be used for an external display if you need to access the system in the interim.

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Thanks guys but I get nothing with the external monitor and the CPU fan still runs like a bat out of hell. I notice when I shut it the HDD activity light stays a solid blue. I think this may be the motherboard problem. Open again to ideas. Again I get no post beep either

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Yup .. the Acer in the video did the exact same thing ... if you connect a external display now, while your current internal cable is still attached, it won't make a difference. What punahou1 and I were trying to tell you is that you need to disconnect that cable first which means opening up the laptop. Dis-assembly for your Toshiba isn't too difficult ... this model should be similar
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-L675D-L670D/dismantle-laptop-1.htm

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

Ill give it a try and let you know tomorrow.Thanks to all

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Thanks for the help everyone but my friend wants to try and send it back to Toshiba even though the warranty has ended so no need for me to open it up but thanks for all your help.