Black screen in Sony VAIO laptop but shows output in TV

gaurav247

Estimable
May 23, 2014
Hello, I am having black screen issue in Sony VAIO VPCEB26FG. I have a dual boot OS- Windows 10 and Ubuntu. The boot menu is configured using EasyBCD software. The problem started a few weeks ago (much later than I had installed Ubuntu in the system). Initially I thought it was a Windows Update problem as it usually happened after booting from an update. The problem got fixed upon a few hard resets. But since 2 days the laptop screen has gone blank.
Here are some observations and symptoms-
1. When turned on, the laptop screen shows VAIO and then Windows 10 logo. After that the screen is blank.
2. I tried connecting it to a TV via HDMI; the laptop screen shows nothing but the TV screen shows the OS starting. This is happening for both the OS. The TV screen shows the boot menu first and sometimes the windows loading (black screen without the Windows logo and loading graphics at the bottom) screen first.
3. The BIOS is visible in the laptop screen.
4. Tried to restore the laptop using rstrui command in run to few weeks earlier but no effect.
5. Tried to update the ATI driver using Windows Device Manager but the latest are already installed.

I called Sony Support but they said to format the laptop using VAIO recovery but I do not want to format. Please help.

EasyBCD configuration settings are as follows-
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 10
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 10
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Ubuntu
BCD ID: {2adeb759-e899-11e5-8531-f07bcbef573c}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

Solution
Go directly to Sony's support site and install chipset and video drivers from there, also see if there is a newer BIOS there. Checking for drivers though the Windows update method very rarely works for video drivers.

Does the issue happen in Windows and in Linux?
Go directly to Sony's support site and install chipset and video drivers from there, also see if there is a newer BIOS there. Checking for drivers though the Windows update method very rarely works for video drivers.

Does the issue happen in Windows and in Linux?

Solution