Question Black screen, No bios screen - except sometimes. Ideapad 330.

Jun 24, 2019
I've been struggling to figure out why I only have a screen every 20 attempts or more. The only way I seem to get a working screen is through trial and error random key pushing, where in all likelihood the novo-button either helped or is the only way to at least sometimes get things to work.

Took the laptop apart. It's not the screen connection. It's not the extra RAM (maybe the onboard one?), it's not the hard-drive and not the CMOS battery - as I think I succesfully replaced that. I'm getting to test another CMOS battery in a few days. There's a video on youtube where this battery actually managed to cause a black screen.

Just to be clear. I don't see anything. The screen isn't even powered on, yet the fan and everything seems to work normally. Occasionally, as in about 7 times after 200 attempts... I do get to see the novo-menu and even installed linux besides windows. Which was a mistake since it no longer boots or repairs itself. This miracles only lasts until reboot.

Question - what are the chances I can get away with not buying a new mainboard - with a soldered ryzen 3 and incorporated RAM...

Does anyone know how much replacing the BIOS chip costs ?

Anyone has any other ideas ?

PS: it's likely it's not a BIOS update or a windows update behind this. Maybe a virus... posibly the BIOS chip. Possibly some other issue?

Jun 24, 2019
so, I replaced the cmos battery with a new one and all of a sudden my success ratio went up from 30-50 attempts to about 5-10. Not only that, F2 responds as well. Maybe I just need to let it charge.

Someone could have tipped me off on setting the date on the clock. Might have to do with windows not repairing itself ?

I'm now on a live linux stick. Any advice ? Can I update the BIOS ? Could I check it somehow ? Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
You say you checked the cable that connects the screen. Did you just look at it or actually disconnect it on both ends and then reconnect it?

If you just looked at it, then it could still be the problem. Especially if the cable is bent or pinched somewhere. Then it would only work off and on. So start there.

Should that not work, then try connecting an external monitor and see if it works fine. If it does, then your problem is definitely with the laptops display or display cable. If, however, the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then you are looking at a GPU problem.

NOTE: If the laptop is under warranty, contact the manufacturer. If it isn't then try a local tech.

Jun 24, 2019
Honestly, at some point I did have the impression that having the laptop upside down on the table was showing benefits. I only disconnected it at one end though. Yet the fact that it never turns on in the middle of some stage and that it stays on no matter what I do if it's on, pretty much guarantees that the connection is ok.

I did order a HDMI cable just a few hours ago.. because somehow my succes ratio plummeted again. Maybe something is shorting the CMOS battery and thus this new one isn't that new anymore ?

It worked really well. Now it doesn't again.

Jun 24, 2019
The numlock button won't budge. Unless the screen is working. But the fan is going on and off, mimicking some "life" . It's likely something gets stuck before the screen gets on, alternatively not get stuck - and then everything works.

Unfortunately this will land at the manufacturer.