Black screen on external monitor for laptop after driver update

Sep 3, 2018
Hello, I had used driver booster by IObit to update anything out of date and when it had finished and after I had restarted the computer, the external monitor's screen was black. I had attempted to troubleshoot on my own and had reset the PC but still the black screen, I also uninstalled and reinstalled the Intel Graphics drivers but still the black screen. I also tried to SFC /SCANNOW but it didn't find any corrupted files. The laptop screen is okay but the monitor still won't work. I tried switching out different HDMI cords but the same thing happens.

Solution

After the reset (new Windows setup), go to the computer vendor support site and download the chipset, BIOS and video drivers from them, install them. Check to see if the monitor is seen but maybe just needs to be enabled.
Bad idea to use any 3rd party driver update. Only get the drivers directly from the vendor download site. When you said you reset the PC, did you do a factory restore or do you mean something else? What is the laptop brand and model? A factory reset should have cleared up any driver issues.

Sep 3, 2018

Hi, from the settings options I went to recovery and had selected " reset this pc " and the laptop is a " Dell Inspiron 15 (I15RV-6190 BLK) " It's an older laptop. I have not factory reset the pc but if it is the best option I will.

Sep 3, 2018

Windows 10, reset this pc does " Reset This PC is a repair tool for serious operating system problems, available from the Advanced Startup Options menu in Windows 10. The Reset This PC tool keeps your personal files, removes any software you have installed, and then completely reinstalls Windows. "

and after all that the external monitor still will not work.

After the reset (new Windows setup), go to the computer vendor support site and download the chipset, BIOS and video drivers from them, install them. Check to see if the monitor is seen but maybe just needs to be enabled.

Solution
Sep 13, 2018
The first option in a case like this is to try restoring windows to an earlier date, for example go back a week or two, this also avoid losing your information and applications. If you can't restore to an earlier date, then second option is to factory restore.