Black Screen + Popping Noise

opieme

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014
So recently, my laptop gets a black screen on start up, and makes popping sounds a few seconds after. I CAN get it to work, but at the moment, the only way to do so is by repetitively powering up and removing/reinserting the battery to try to boot it up again. Its only a year and a half old but ive dropped it from a carseat out onto the pavement a month or two ago. Any suggestions?
Video : http://youtu.be/vB5lQqZISd4

Solution
I don't think it's a loose video cable. You said you can get a picture after a few cold boots or power cycles after all, right? If the cable was damaged or loose, you would most likely have a consistent problem, and power cycling the laptop would not intermittently fix it.

The guts would have to be physically inspected to determine what the source of the problems is. The popping, I imagine, is the hard drive (if you have a mechanical one), but I'm not certain.

opieme

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014

The screen still stays black, which would lead me to believe your suggestion of it being a loose connecter.
But would it still have had a gap between after the drop and still work? Since it still worked fine after the drop and only began the noise 3 weeks ago...

I don't think it's a loose video cable. You said you can get a picture after a few cold boots or power cycles after all, right? If the cable was damaged or loose, you would most likely have a consistent problem, and power cycling the laptop would not intermittently fix it.

The guts would have to be physically inspected to determine what the source of the problems is. The popping, I imagine, is the hard drive (if you have a mechanical one), but I'm not certain.

Solution