BlackBerry 10 Android Runtime to be Upgraded to Jelly Bean

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
"70,000 apps"

To me, thats still a lot. I have I think 4 apps I use on my phone... so when I see a selection of 1,000,000 or 70,000... its no difference to me.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]"70,000 apps"To me, thats still a lot. I have I think 4 apps I use on my phone... so when I see a selection of 1,000,000 or 70,000... its no difference to me.[/citation]

It's sadly a marketing tactic to point this out while it really doesn't make much sense and yet works. Go ahead and debate a Apple fan-boy and he is bound to bring up the # of apps iOS has when literally 99.9% of them he will never use or likely even hear of.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Like I said before, BB needs to start giving (and upholding) firm deadlines for their projects, they can't afford generic delays, because they smell like empty promises.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]It's sadly a marketing tactic to point this out while it really doesn't make much sense and yet works. Go ahead and debate a Apple fan-boy and he is bound to bring up the # of apps iOS has when literally 99.9% of them he will never use or likely even hear of.[/citation]
Yes. At the same time, the only thing that prevents me from trying a WinPhone device ATM is the absence of the few professional apps I need. Just to give an example; I could not care less about the rest of them, but I really have to have these few apps.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]"70,000 apps"To me, thats still a lot. I have I think 4 apps I use on my phone... so when I see a selection of 1,000,000 or 70,000... its no difference to me.[/citation]

Totally agree. I use maybe 6 or 7 apps regularly. It's just marketing BS. I don't even check Google Play anymore as 99% of apps are crap anyway. There are only so many things a smart phone/apps can do.

G

It is a grey-area marketing at its commercialiest (new-word-a-day), I bought a PlayBook few months ago, precisely for this point, yeah Gingerbread layer was there, but I was also suckered into buying an utter trash. For two reasons that they don't tell you about:

1. it is API layer, akin to Windows NT being POSIX compatible; I was thinking more of the relatively excellent IBM OS/2 running Windows 3.1 flawlessly either within OS/2 or desktop so this is total let down. Having no side-loading it is limited to the sorry-state BlackBerry World with quite limited selection of quality free apps of either BlackBerry natives or Android on layers.

2. some functionality is not exposed as Android API, such as Bluetooth, I think I saw accelerometer being on RIM's blacklist for original PlayBook OS but cleared on BB10.

They lost a customer here, don't trust RIM anymore.

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007

No doubt about that, though the real point is whether or not the apps you actually need will be available. This is why JB compatibility is relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.