Blackberry Makes More Claims About New Platform's Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hmmm. WinPhone should have done something similar. Lack of professional apps for my craft is number one reason why I could not give their phones a spin.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Those 12 people using a BB10 are going to love this![/citation]

Have you used bb10, I'm typing this from my z10 now. And it's easily best mobile UI I've used this fat, iPhone looks like a toy by comparison, the gestures based UI is the wave of the future, apple will take IOS in this direction and then claim they reinvented the mobile OS. Try it before you knock it.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Recoding a Java based app to run on BB10.I can see why RIM has issues.[/citation]

You do realize that bb10 is not android, it's QNX based, and yes a natively running app in the OS will work better than a side loaded, pseudo java android app.

anononon

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Those 12 people using a BB10 are going to love this![/citation]

Says someone based on trend with picture interface.

Security is the number one reason why BB is best for enterprise, and all business's alike. The app deal will level with time, just like any platform. Give it another year or so alone when security, exploits, and malware become a bigger issue. More and more will adapt BB just on principle.

See you soon!

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPhone-more-vulnerable-than-Android-BB-and-WP-combined_id41258

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2264140895001/android-phones-face-biggest-risk-from-cyber-attack/?playlist_id=933116624001

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Those 12 people using a BB10 are going to love this![/citation]Despite all the thumbs down to Lamorpa, this is a relatively accurate depiction.

I know everyone loves the underdog, but lets be honest. BB10 is new, and while it may be the best mobile OS yet, it can still fail (WebOS anyone?) If they don't get enough of a user base to make it profitable for app developers to write applications for BB, either exclusively or in tandem with other platforms, then the devs won't code or port their apps.

While I wish BB the best, they have the monsters iOS and Android taking the largest share, while they get to fend for the scraps against WinPho8, which at this time has a much more useful line of business applications.

BB will need to continue to find new ways to entice developers for quite some time.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Despite all the thumbs down to Lamorpa, this is a relatively accurate depiction. I know everyone loves the underdog, but lets be honest. BB10 is new, and while it may be the best mobile OS yet, it can still fail (WebOS anyone?) If they don't get enough of a user base to make it profitable for app developers to write applications for BB, either exclusively or in tandem with other platforms, then the devs won't code or port their apps. While I wish BB the best, they have the monsters iOS and Android taking the largest share, while they get to fend for the scraps against WinPho8, which at this time has a much more useful line of business applications.BB will need to continue to find new ways to entice developers for quite some time.[/citation]

There is nothing accurate about it.

#1 BlackBerry has some 80 million subscribers, while it doesn't match android or iOS, and has fallen ... it's not some slouch, it also had a profitable quarter,the doomsday, scenarios have more to do with analyst fires than actual truth ... the company ato worst would be purchased by someone. Also, developers make more money per app sale on BB than any other platform, as BB apps have a higher selling price.

#2 The reason why there weren't a bazillion apps for bb in comparison to iOS and Android, is that BB based its features on business needs, and business applications ie excel, word, pdf readers much better on BB, but the latest "farting game" just didn't make the cut.

#3 BB10 is expanding to reach out to the "non-business user" ... and has alot more clout than WebOS ever had, because, again, they already have 80 million subscribers. BB10 combines the "entertainment" aspect of smartphones in a way prior BB's didn't, moreover, perhaps you should take a look at the official lists of apps that are in the pipeline , it doesn't matter how many apps BB10 has, so long as it gets the popular ones, whatsapp (done), skype, shazam, soundhound, etc ... the big sellers are all you need.

I have both an iphone and z10, and the only apps don't have right now that I care at all about are shazam and soundhound, and I've emailed both vendors, and they are already working on a native app.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]There is nothing accurate about it. #1 BlackBerry has some 80 million subscribers, ......#2 T.....is that BB based its features on business needs, and business applications ie excel, word, pdf readers much better on BB.....#3 BB10 is expanding to reach out to the "non-business user" ... and has alot more clout than WebOS ever had, because, again, they already have 80 million subscribers. ......[/citation]

Until you can get the blackberry fan mentality out, you won't be able to offer an unbiased opinion. BlackBerry 10 is what Lamorpa and I were talking about. Where as you are specifically siting all of blackberry. My point still stands, until BB10 (not blackberry in general) gets a good user base, they will have a hard time getting developers, and they need to continually add incentives for the developers to write apps for them if they wish to have any share.

#1 80 million blackberry users (all versions), less than 2 million of which are on BB10 devices.

#2 The money is not in professional applications, the money is in entertainment, so while you may not like that "Farting game" the developer is farting his way to the bank. The same developers for entertainment also make productivity software.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/topgrossing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/topselling_paid
http://www.razorianfly.com/charts/grossing/
http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/paid-apps/

#3, see #1, almost no one has BB10 yet.

diogenes666

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
I'm not even a Real Estate Developer, don't even own one of the tiny browser things, so I'm unbiased :)
Guess what I'm going to buy?
Forced into it for strictly business reasons, Blackberry's the only game in town for adults!
Asked 4 VERY smart legal types what they use and 3 use Blackberries. (Lawyers choice apparently) The only male uses a .... you guessed it - and has a monster PC at home for .... games.

Big question for a developer would have to be:
1. Can I make an app for serious people?
2. Can I compete with 10 million games/silly app developers on Apple etc?
3. Could the 10 grand be for real???

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.