Blacksn0w Unlocks iPhone for All Carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

it won't work with verizon and sprint. Just tmobile and other non cdma networks.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]So how can it be used on Verizon. Did they throw in a cdma chip on purpose. Or are they all on the same silicon now days.[/citation]

That was certainly an oversight, unless by some freak of nature there happened to be a CDMA radio hiding out on the phone. And that's just to get phone calls through, if you want high speed data there's another radio you need, and that's not even common on phones that DO advertise themselves as "global/quad band".

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wow. This software hack also adds a CDMA radio? That is some powerful software.

Nice job reporting... .... ... NOT.

-Borat.

PodSix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Uh oh, Apple and AT&T are gonna start frothing at the mouth. Especially AT&T because history tells us that any shadow of opposition or competition throws them overboard in a panic.

G

Kevin Parish is an idiot, adding in your two bits from a story you copied and pasted, do your research man. The current line up of iphones DOES NOT AND WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RUN ON A CMDA NETWORK LIKE VERIZON, SPRINT, ALLTEL, ECT.... that is hardware based not software based.

IDIOTS!!!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
if it was legal, it would be worth millions. while i'm generally not a fan of open source - when its one or a group of arrogant programmers with spare time aiming to completely undercut and destroy a valid market - there definitely is a few times and places for it, and one particular place is when the software is of questionable legality. another is counteracting massive DICK moves by retards like Apple! (why should I have to pay more to have my device work like it should!)

elkinbar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Verizon owns and operates several smaller regional GSM carriers. Apperently due to customer resistance they plan on keeping those networks operational.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I wish Apple would just stop with their silly updates that block the jailbreaking, resistance is futile. Btw, nice choice of picture Mr. Parrish.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Good for him to stand up to money crazed people. As for $10,000....he could make that in a day if he sold it at $.99 per download.

Separately; would it be nice if Apple opened up development and networking for free? Yes, but I'm not going to complain that much, I'm pretty much satisfied with my iTouch 2G 8GB, non jailbroken.

When Apple keeps updating their "anti-jailbreaking" security, someone out there ends up breaking it within a few days. It's futile, like someone above stated. I'm a fan of the open source movement and I'm also a fan of giving Apple and AT&T a gut check.

G

The iPhone doesn't support CDMA at all.... what are you guys talking about. I wish US did what the rest of the world did, go with GSM and stop confusing people (Marketing BS).

@brendano257
Yeah true he could make $10k if he sold it at .99 cents per download

@buwish
AT&T is the real company who is actually demanding Apple to block jailbreaks. Apple isn't really trying to stop jailbreaking they are forced too. Why? there are apps that open EDGE/3G connection with WiFi-only apps and also other apps that well I'm not sure but interfere with AT&T and such.

Notice Apple hasn't disabled Shift-Clicking Restore. There latest iTunes never really interfere with downgrading at all. iTunes downgrades iPhones to 3.0 at request (through DFU Mode) but Apple doesn't sign them but still it's downgraded already.

Steve Jobs might even be using dev-teams and geohots solutions and jailbreaking his iPhones lol!

When did their updates block jailbreaking?.... mostly their updates only block unlocking cause AT&T forces them too

G

look - if apple disabled that, then why backup iphones at all? it would make a very key feature a moot point, THAT'S why apple doesn't disable it. it would make them go back on a very important feature, and would leave them NO breathing room, and actually would screw tons of legitimate users, rather than jailbreakers/unlockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.