Blank Screen After Sleep unless hdmi is connected

8564dan

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Hi guys,

I've recently purchased an Asus GL752vw laptop.

I updated the BIOS to the latest version and done a clean Windows 10 install straight away. I've installed all the latest graphics drivers as well as others.

The other day, I put the laptop to sleep for the first time and then when I went to wake it up, everything powered up the the screen stays black. I plugged in a HDMI cable from a TV to check and then the screen came on.

If i leave the HDMI cable connected and put the laptop to sleep, the screen comes on fine when waking up.

I've installed the latest Intel RST driver and made sure hybrid sleep is disabled. I can't think of anything else I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by doing a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot, do test the laptop again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

If all these will not work please do try these other troubleshooting steps.
- Open Power Options then click on Change Plan Settings then Change Advanced Power Settings.
- Expand Hard Disk then set Turn off Hard disk after to NEVER.
- Expand Sleep and set Allow hyrbid sleep to OFF.
- Set Hibernate after to NEVER.
- Do also set Sleep Mode to Never.
- Click Apply and OK then test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

8564dan

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried them all and still have the same issue.

I have integrated Intel graphics too, so when I uninstalled the nvidia drivers, before installing again, I tried to see if it would work and it still done the same. I still needed to put in the HDMI cable to wake the screen up. So, I think the GPU can be ruled out now.

I've tried multiple times throughout all the steps you listed and still get the same result everytime.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again.

RedKebab

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem and have the same laptop model as you. Its pretty tedious being unable to shut the lid and put the computer to sleep when the screen doesn't come on afterwards without connecting it to a hdmi. If I shutdown and power on the computer, the screen comes on fine, I'm just unable to close the lid and put the damn thing to sleep. Have you found a solution yet?

Thanks!