Blockbuster, Motorola Offer Movies on Cell Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

winglerw28

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
*squinting at screen*

Seriously, I'd have a hard time looking at a screen that small. I'm 16 and have 20/20 vision so something tells me this won't be too successful.

"What was that?" "I'm probably wrong, but I think it was a person.... I think..."

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Entertainment on the go?

How much does NPR and conservative radio cost me? ZERO Dollar? I'll stick with talk radio programs of both moonbats and wingnuts. I found my preference to talk radio varies depending on who's in control of the White House and Congress.

Opposition programs are always more entertaining, and Alex Johns never gets old, even though it's the same NWO crap repeating over and over again.

G

some smart phones could do this without bothering me. The first time I watched the movie 300 was on my iPhone and the experience was great. Using a nice pair of ear buds and having a hi-res screen go a long way to actually make this an enjoyable experience.

Blockbusters decision to go with Motorola only seems a little odd. I don't know of too many Motorola phones with big beautiful screens (but who knows, maybe Motorola will be releasing some cool phone to go along with this service)

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
The one thing this has going for it is the reduced bandwidth that the smaller video will require. I still think its more of a novelty though. I guess if you already have it, the addition to your cell is a nice bonus.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Would be more useful on an iphone. Now if netflix catches up to that and streams through iphone then blockbuster would be in real trouble.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I already see enough idiots on the roads either driving or texting on their cell phones. I DON'T need people watching movies on them while they're driving.

The person who invents the "the car automatically pulls over and parks when you pick up the cell phone" feature will make me a very happy driver.

Come on people! Enough is enough.

cybernard

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
how about considering battery life, could a cell phone run for that long while playing a movie?? My phone only has 4-5 hours of talk time, and that relatively low cpu usage compared to video playing.
I downloaded about 10 simple apps and played with them briefly, and it drain the battery to critical levels.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
yeah really, who wants to watch movies on a tiny screen while simultaneously draining almost all of you battery life, let alone paying for this. just get a netbook and copy and paste the video files you already have to it and there ya go, a mobile device suitable for movie playback.

pakardbell486dx2

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I think its a dumb idea. Why?
1.) gives telco more reasons to charge more
2.) Currently there no carriers in America that can provide the necessary bandwidth to provide the stream, 3g hasn't even been perfected yet and is not widely available.
3.) You will be only be able to watch the movie once and wont be able to own them. Though depends if you are renting or not
4.) Quality will be low
5.) will probably be very expensive

I think blockbuster and moto are getting ahead of themselves. They should wait till the technology has improved and is proven to provide the bandwith.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I watch comedians on youtube everyday on my lunch break...

This is a good idea.. why not? if you don't want them, don't download/buy. If you do want them, get er done.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I think it's a retarded idea and I'm sure they'll be overpriced. Anyone who wants to watch movies on their cell is retarded. Simple as that. This is why UMD failed. People don't want to watch movies on tiny screens or pay a premium for that privilege. Just look at how much they charge for a ringtone.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'll stick to using my Sling Box and slingplayer mobile - gives me a much better selection at a much lower total cost. I have no problems with such a tiny machine when I can pull out my cellphone and watch TV, especially if I get an incompetent cashier helping the person out in front of me. (I mean, these people don't even know how to make change or do 12 x and scan one grocery item rather than take two minutes scanning each... and... every... one... individually... after... carefully... searching... each... time... for... the... U... P... C... - oh, look, its in the same darn spot as the previous identical item, what a surprise!)

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
It's like adding a netflix-stream-capable 7" HDTV screen with wireless capability... to a refrigerator! Who would want to sit in front of a fridge looking at 7" screen watching a movie?? Go to living room and enjoy that same movie while relaxing on your couch/sofa next to your spouse/loved one and while eating candies or popcorn instead. Geez.

G

i think is an AWESOME idea..and i cannot wait..since i have the motorola droid 3.7 inch screen is not small..a bit bigger than the iphone..cannot wait for the flash player and this. awesome! beat that blackberry!!

Status
Not open for further replies.