Blu-ray 3D Specification Finalized, is PS3 Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
3D has definitely come a long way since the days of cheesy red and blue filtered glasses. But I wouldn't go so far as to proclaim this as the new standard for movies and TV. While it is an interesting enhancement, I don't think it is revolutionary or even evolutionary. In order for that to be the case, the viewing experience would have to be more like being in a holodeck.

shadowkazama

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Most likely you'll have to wear "glasses" of some kind. Sucks for me and a lot of people out there who already wear prescription glasses to see. Hope they design some that are comfortable for me to wear, unlike the Movie Theater 3D Glasses.

If glasses are not needed though, then great! Let's go for it, 3D all the way!

iboomer

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Uber l33t,

Now all I have to do is trade in my circa 1989 27" RCA TV, and my BETA-MAX for some upgraded video quality.

Maybe I could even trade in my collection of Laser Discs for some newer titles

Anyone interested in swapping?

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Most likely lcd shutter glasses... which work great but require a very fast refresh screen to look really smooth. I think my 60hz projector will end up looking a little jerky, but it'll be interesting to experiment with.

I hope the damn things are bluetooth... I don't want a cord running all the way to my PS3 (which is 15 feet away).

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]shadowkazama[/nom]Most likely you'll have to wear "glasses" of some kind. Sucks for me and a lot of people out there who already wear prescription glasses to see. Hope they design some that are comfortable for me to wear, unlike the Movie Theater 3D Glasses.If glasses are not needed though, then great! Let's go for it, 3D all the way![/citation]Is there even a 3D standard that doesn't require glasses? They would need to project the image individually into each eye. If it takes off, someone will come up with a clip-on or old guy top half of your face covered glasses to meet the niche (maybe even you if you have the gumption to get a business going).

drizzo4shizzo

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]endif[/nom]Is there a requirement on the TV's end for 3D support? Do you need a certain refresh rate?[/citation]

You will probably need a special TV which supports 120Hz input.

That would give you 60Hz for each eye.

This is what you need to use NVidia "3D" vision tech.

Note that this is not the same as a 120Hz (or 240Hz) TV -- that is not going to help out as those TVs just take the input signal (60Hz I believe) and interpolate (invent) frames.

There is a 22" Asus monitor I think which can do this, and there are probably a few TVs but just any old 120Hz TV won't cut it.

counselmancl

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
60Hz is the minimum for flicker free viewing. 24P for movies or 30P for broadcasts is the minimum for smooth action.

Movies are captured in 24P right? So 60Hz should give you a few frames extra to work with shouldn't it?

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I still have to say that blu-ray is one big greedbag ripoff.do the work and you will find out on the net how much it costs to manufacture these compared to DVD.Then ask yourself why they charge us $10 and more per disc over DVD cost.

And as far as this whole 3D goes you will be wearing glasses to enjoy it and that is if it is even enjoyable which for me it won't since I already have to wear glasses and since I am 54 and have already tried #d with glasses.hell they have had this since i was a child in the 1960's.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
gorehound your probably one of the weirdos who thinks everything is a ripoff. everything hd is expensive because of the equipment. what? you think there just making movies in hollywood with an el cheapo HD camcorder?

if you don't like it stick with your 13" CRT and VCR

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I hope current Blu Ray players offer firmware updates. I already bought a HDDVD then bought a Blu ray when HD failed then had to buy another blu ray that fully suported HD Audio. I can't see buying any more players.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
As long as any 3D content requires special glasses of any kind I will be against 3D viewing. One of the things that is nice about watching a movie (either in the theater OR at home) is that you can lean back, relax and WATCH it. You don't have to worry about glasses, or refresh rates, or anything like that.

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) is the golden rule here, and having to use glasses (that you have to wear, and make sure you don't lose, etc, etc) for any sort of 3D experiance just isn't following that rule. I would REALLY like 3D to take off, but WITHOUT the glasses please.

P.S. I don't wear glasses 24/7.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]shadowkazama[/nom]Most likely you'll have to wear "glasses" of some kind. Sucks for me and a lot of people out there who already wear prescription glasses to see. Hope they design some that are comfortable for me to wear, unlike the Movie Theater 3D Glasses.If glasses are not needed though, then great! Let's go for it, 3D all the way![/citation]
The 3D glasses will always be needed so long as the image is projected iin 2D on a flat surface (i.e. your monitor's panel), and the 3D effect is an illusion by the process of fooling your eyes (brain) into thinking that it's seeing something three dimensional. The only way to get beyond the glasses is to look at holographics. That's the only real 3D technology I would praise. This is just another reason to get noobs to buy new stuff and waste their hard earned money. Cheers!

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
How long did it take for the old black and white 3D movies with the red and green glasses to fade away? That's how long it will take for this new 3D nonsense to fade away.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I heard that Avatar for the PS3 will support this tech and will be the first 3D game (what ever 3D this is...)

Yeah you need a special TV for this effect and only a few companies make them like LG and one other company (slipped my mind)

Its 120Hz but not all 120Hz sets will do it.

I know you need to sit almost directly in front of the set for the effect to work, but you will not need special glasses :)

I guess this is good news for PS23 owners who buy one of those TV's, as for everyone else hmmm at least they will not have to suffer too much from it as I can't imagine too many movies will be using this for a while (unless they can convert some of those Disney movies like "Up" to this new tech)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS