Blu-ray Beats Recession; Sales Up 91 Percent

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaughALot

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Funny that you should include an image of "The Fifth Element" with this piece. I've upgraded several DVDs to Blu-ray only to be disappointed with the quality of the mastering. "The Fifth Element" was one of the first to disappoint.

krashnicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
The new version of the 5th Element is much much better then the original Blu-Ray release. The first release was a joke. This new version is worth the upgrade.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]krashnicki[/nom]The new version of the 5th Element is much much better then the original Blu-Ray release. The first release was a joke. This new version is worth the upgrade.[/citation]

yeah the new version was brought out strait away to replace the first one they were so ashamed of it. I even herd that people could exchange their old one with the new version for free at some stage.

slob

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I'm not surprised by this. This news actually makes sense. It's a recession. People want entertainment to take their minds off their troubles. One of the only industries to make money during the great depression was Hollywood.

I don't buy many Blu-rays, but I don't watch much television period. Cable is soo expensive and disappointing by comparison. I'm hardly, if ever, disappointed by Blu-ray.

PLATTERMAN

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
The Blu-ray Fifth Element version i saw in the store did not even have dts let alone dts HD master audio, like the dvds they did release a dts dvd version and the transfer and audio were pretty good. The Studios had better get a clue when it comes to Blu-ray releases of films old or new, calling & labeling it something like HD 1920X1080 etc., if the end result does not look much better than dvd then your hurting the format and your sales. I can upsize video to 1920x1080 too but that does'nt make it HD. Goodfellas was another less than impressive transfer.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I was thinking video games may/should be even more popular these days if a good game can give 20+ hours of entertainment, while a movie gives ~2 hours. I'm still waiting for the Blu_Ray blank media to come down in price (at least double the $/gb of DVDs ) before I jump into Blu-Ray myself.
I also stopped watching cable TV and didn't miss it.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
This is good to hear, I really like watching movies on blu ray. With more hardware adoption, hopefully new releases will hit netflix faster, I don't buy discs anymore.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
The drop of Blu-ray some movies (by discounts) (some go as low as $10-$14) definitely have some boost on the Blu-ray sales. Even the bestbuy has quite a few Blu-ray movies at the price range of $10s every week.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
im not biting til the players can be had for 50 bucks or less ,and the disk can be had for 20 bucks or less... or and definitely not before i ahve a HD tv in my home which i still dont have

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
You guys should read Hi Def Digest before you buy - great reviews of Blurays and they specifically focus on the Video & Audio quality. The 5th Element was always going to be good on Bluray eventually because there was a Superbit version on DVD which was amazing.
The general drop in sales could reflect the fact that people are saving up to buy a Hi Def set up and are not bothering to buy SD-DVDs as they are now outdated. The sharp rise in Bluray sales specifically is no suprise as it is still an emerging format but is now maturing to the point where the players & the discs themselves have come down in price quite a bit. I personally have quite a few Titles and never spend more than £10 per disc.

G

Yay,that's hard to figure out!
Blueray disks where considered too expensive for most people a couple of months ago, and the main stream market needed to buy the players first.
It's like saying "The New Ford Focus sells 200% better than last week"
Duuh! It's just released a couple of weeks ago!

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I got the superbit dvd of fifth element when it released and ran it on an hdmi upscaling dvd player. Milla Jovovich was amazing in those thermal bandages. I can clearly see the advantages of blu ray and can discern the difference between SD and HD of all ranges, but it just doesn't add enough enjoyment to the movie for the price premium. Maybe in a action packed block buster, but everything else I could care less whether I watched it in HD or good, 480p progressive scan. When Blu-ray drives drop to about 50 bucks I will put one in a HTPC, but until then I can do without it.

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I'm not gonna argue about the price of entry for bluray readers. You can get the drive off of newegg for $60 at this point if you really wanted to. Streaming HD is definitely more convenient though. You can stream HD pretty well on a 10 megabit connection, and I think as the price of that connection goes down in the coming years we will see digital distribution take off.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]TemjinGold[/nom]Up 91 percent? What's that like, 5 more Blurays sold?[/citation]

lol thats what I was thinking too

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cracklint[/nom] When Blu-ray drives drop to about 50 bucks I will put one in a HTPC, but until then I can do without it.[/citation]

You can buy them for $60 now if you look for good deals.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I knew I bought a PS3 for some reason. Seriously, I have only watched one Blue Ray movie with it, rented. Not worth it to me, the PS3 up-scales any DVD to 1080P anyway and I didn't see that much difference. I don't buy movies, watch it more than once or twice and I don't want to see it again. Blue Ray is still a premium price, you don't see bargain bins at 2 for $5 in your local Walmart yet and they cost more to rent. I have better things to blow my money on.

Status
Not open for further replies.