Blu-Ray Drives for PCs Bombing

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]lowguppy[/nom]Its so much cheaper to add blue ray to a PC than to buy a stand alone player though... Its also not very expensive to rent Blu-ray through Netflix and the available library is growing steadily. I think people are just stuck thinking that they need a stand alone player because they always have for other media, and don't realize that their PC can do everything they would use most stand alone devices for.[/citation]

no the truth of teh matter is , poeplesuch as myself don't feel compelled tio get blue ray on acomputer for mltiple reasons

1. external hard drives have gotten extrememly cheap ( particularly models that are 160 gig down to 80 gig, both sizes vastly larger than a blu ray disk size) so as a data storage device they are sort of antiquated in the limited space they hold.

2. there is no need for blu ray media on computer , TV's do this job fine aside from laptops there is no compelllignr eason to see blue ray media on comps , games scertaly don't require work apps all fit nicely on dvd's

3. dvd's took for ever before they became main stay on comps , hell not just two years ago most software was stil being released on cd for comps (this relates to statment 2 btw)

4. the last reason that many pc users dont feel love for blu ray, the format is largly owned by sony adn sony alone , real techies (aka lotta pc users , don't like the idea of any company owning to much of any thing (look how much every one loves to bash MS )

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]lowguppy[/nom]Its so much cheaper to add blue ray to a PC than to buy a stand alone player though... Its also not very expensive to rent Blu-ray through Netflix and the available library is growing steadily. I think people are just stuck thinking that they need a stand alone player because they always have for other media, and don't realize that their PC can do everything they would use most stand alone devices for.[/citation]

Agreed. I for one am planing on putting a BD r/rw on my HTPC around Thanksgiving,etc. Newegg should have the LG BD RW in stock (sold out atm) by then and there should be more choices.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Oh, say it ain't so! I bought one to watch Blu-Ray discs on the computer, might as well throw it away because the software is such rubbish and it only works with HDCP monitors (which I don't have and won't buy just to watch a BD).

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I run one in my htpc. it only cost $90.00(player only). It came with PowerDVD, which for me was horrible. I shelled out for TotalMediaTheater which is leaps and bounds better then PowerDVD. And you are all right, if its not conected to a nice display, you wont see the difference. But hook it up to a HD tv that supports 1080p, and you must be partialy blind not to see the improvment in picture quality. DVD's just look 'soft' even with good up-conversion on a hd tv. the level of detail just isn't there. I replaced a whole rack full of equipment with an htpc and a reciever. It plays all my games,dvd,bluray,music,all stored internaly(maybe not the BD's so much)on 4tb worth of HDD space, and so on. All from a IR remote control, no keyboard or mouse needed. And please note: there is no HDCP encription on a 15pin D-Sub analog video connection, which on my Samsung 46" display looks better then hdmi or dvi. Just some thoughts from an A/V geek.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I won't ever have blu-ray on a laptop or desktop unless it is a completely free upgrade. Have no interest in the format and see no lifespan in the format beyond 10 - 15 years. It's mediocre, fragile, overpriced, heavy, slow, and oh yeah did I mention overpriced? I'll stick to my netflix streaming and digital downloads and I don't really care if it isn't "true 1080p." I have a hard time telling the difference between a regular DVD and blu-ray much less 720p vs 1080p and "compressed 1080p" and "real 1080p."

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
i have blu ray reader in my pc and on a 23 inch monitor you can see a difference but not that much. most people dont have like 50 inch tv's to watch BLU-RAY movies also i wouldnt see a point of watching blu ray movies ona small 24-26 inch TV theres like no see-able difference.i love the whole idea but definetely not as popular as they should but they will catch on as soon as prices go down.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Price, for me is my main stopping point - I simply can't justify spending the extra money on Blu-Ray support. The other fact is the spotty software//firmware support - it reminds me a lot of DVD's when they first came out, how certain movies wouldn't work in certain players because of errors in the firmware. The Matrix was a good example, and there was at least one big Disney movie that had problems back then.

I did read the article about Verbatim's new manufacturing process (hopefully it'll work). What I haven't heard anything on in a long time are the 400GB disks that (I think) Pioneer said they were making that would be compatible with all current Blu-Ray players with only a firmware update).

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Same for home Blue Ray, too expensive for what you get. Not worth it for computer backup because hard drives are dirt cheap.
Then what Nick_C said several posts up makes you think too.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I have a LG blu-ray player for my PC. It's damned good. I've never burned a disc though because I've no need to, as no one else actually has a blu-ray player that I know of here.

I'm still waiting to get my HDTV, but I notice a big difference watching either blu-ray or HDDVD compared to a regular DVD. This is on a 1680x1050 monitor to boot. The difference between 720p and 1080p is harder for me to tell the difference between, that's for sure.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]where are all of you getting your prices from? ...25gb media is 5 bux a piece... 50gb media for 20bux... [/citation]

The problem is that the actual price of a burn is ($5 * (NumberOfCoasters+1)) (or, $20 * (NumberOfCoasters+1)).

G

I just have one blu-ray drive because mine is built in my laptop.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
It's all about price. If Blu-Ray recordable disks were cheap, I'd consider it since it would be a good format for storage and backup. But no one wants to watch movies on their computer.

PLATTERMAN

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
A reason that they are not selling many in factory built pc's, they charge you way more than you can buy a Blu-ray drive on your own. In my ATX HP case i put one in for half what they wanted to charge for one and i installed it in under 10 minutes. Cyberlink 9 ultra upgrade i got for $50.00. It is a pretty decent Blu-ray or any full HD media player. I had my stand alone dual Blu-ray and HDDVD player connected via HDMI to my 28" 1920x1200 monitor which is superior to any pc drive plus no resources taken away from your pc to play them, but i now moved it to my home theater as i bought a 40" 1080P tv to replace my old crt tv that died. Media prices are still not cheap enough to justify a Blu-ray burner though so i don't put any of my HD media onto a disc only my hardrives.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]caskachan[/nom]500 gb hdd = 49$1000gb hdd = 130$20 X 25gb blue ray disks = 200$ (@ 8bucks, most places have them at 10-13)cheap ass burner = 100$ (Lite On iHES208-08 Blu-ray Burner)how much Data do you need to "burn"(BACKUP) yeah thats the reason[/citation]
Don't forget how long it takes to burn any optical disc vs copying to hard drive

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The only reason why many people dont buy blue ray burner is because the disc is so damn expensive. I rather spend that money on a quality hdd.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Blu ray will work out unless internet in the US will start to really pick up but i doubt blu ray will become unless in the next 10 years esp if console games need more room i see blu ray working out for awhile no use in making unless hate on a decent product. DVD's are cheaper but what you gonna do make more package things in many dvd's like transition from cd to dvd for games 4-5 cd's a game or just wait until blu ray price falls.

ionno if that made any sence. I see blu ray working out because of next gen games esp HD ones need a bit more room and because HD DVD died which i thought would work out better for console games i see Blu ray working out unless the internet in the US really get's a big boost or do you want to play a game with 3-5 dvd's haha

As far as putting one in my computer. nope...I wouldn't ofc i have a ps3 i guess if i wanted to store things in blu ray disks but i never would never did with dvd's i just get more HDD's

flabbergasted

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Once I burned a DVD on my PC and after the burn process I couldn't watch it using the same burner I used to burn it. I took the disc to my pals house and we had no problem watching it using his PC. I asked him to burn me a copy of my disc. I returned home with the copy and could play it on my PC. Moral of story, "don't trust optical disc storage."

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
People who can't tell the difference between DVD's and Bluray's should seriously consider buying new glasses/laser eye-surgery.

The difference is as great as it was from the horrible VHS to the average DVD.

Better colours, better contrast, no jagged edges, no blur, no obvious compression, smoother framerates, way better sound!

Steam's userhardware-inspection and comparison gives the answer to why people don't buy BD-drives for their computers - The average Steam gamer runs a monitor resolution of 1280x1024.....hardly "Full HD ready".
Price is #1 issue I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.