Solved! Bluetooth Headset Speaker+Microphone don't work simultaneously

Feb 3, 2020
I have recently purchased a bluetooth headset for office conference calls. However I cannot get both microphone and speakers on the headset to work simultaneously. As soon as Microphone is used, speakers stop working. To explain.

- When I open Google Meet, it sets bluetooth headset's speakers and microphone as devices and then speakers stop working, Microphone appears to be working though.

- I reconfirmed it in 'sound control panel' where I can listen to a music file or youtube video fine when I have the tab 'Playback' selected. As soon as I click 'Recording' tab which supposedly activates Microphone, the speakers stop working.

I have an HP envy x 360 M6 that runs Bluetooth 4.0 and the headset supposedly has Bluetooth 5.0. This seems to have been discussed previously in https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/headset-mic-doesnt-work-with-audio.412164/ but I was asked to open a new thread.

My question is, if its indeed a Bandwidth issue, is it possible to resolve this by purchasing an external Bluetooth 5.0 USB dongle and using that to connect the headset. If not, are there any alternates. Since I need this headset for work, its essentially useless now as I cannot make a call without losing part of the conversation with the client when I am speaking, which is pretty much half of the call!

Solution
While I can't say don't try the dongle, I don't see that it would resolve the problem. It sounds a lot like a flaw in the Bluetooth headset itself and not a flaw with the laptop.

Honestly I have to agree with what you read in the other thread though.

The only resolution then would be to either get a different Bluetooth one, which may not actually resolve the issue, or get a wired headset.
While I can't say don't try the dongle, I don't see that it would resolve the problem. It sounds a lot like a flaw in the Bluetooth headset itself and not a flaw with the laptop.

The only resolution then would be to either get a different Bluetooth one, which may not actually resolve the issue, or get a wired headset.

Solution
Feb 3, 2020

Appreciate the reply, however I am not sure how to interpret it as your response seems a bit contradictory.

1- I did not imply that there was a problem in the laptop, I just wanted to list down every hardware detail I possibly could so anyone reading might get the best idea of the existing hardware and software settings.

2- The linked post suggests its not a fault with the headphone but how Bluetooth works so I am not sure what getting a new BT headset would do.

I was hoping someone knew a compromise between throwing away the headset and having the absolute best quality audio, but only one at a time (speaker or microphone) ... maybe some limited Bandwidth bluetooth profile that would allow for acceptable working of microphone and speakers simultaneously.

I never said there was a problem with the laptop, rather it was addressing the problem. As, in some cases, the problem could be the laptop. Yours just doesn't seem so.

Honestly, I have seen the problem over and over as the headsets are not really meant to have both work at the exact same time like with a typical headset.

Have you tried the headset on other devices?