Booting wiped hard drive

RiverSong1

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
After having my Toshiba C855-S5133 hard drive wiped, I hoped to boot it up from my USB drive, but to no avail. I have limited access to BIOS and made the USB my primary medium to boot, but still nothing. Message I get is "no bootable device - restart computer". Any suggestions

RiverSong1

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from RiverSong1 : "System recovery after hard drive wipe"

If there is a message that reads "no bootable device - please restart system", can I use a recovery disk to boot from the CD/DVD drive to solve this problem? If not, what options do I have?

You should be able to use a recovery disk.

The problem with the USB drive could be a number of things. Most likely reasons would be either the thumb drive is not compatible with that computer/readable by. Not all thumb drives are created alike. Or it could be that the way the files were put on the drive was done incorrectly, say just copied rather than burned onto it. It could even be the wrong type of file. To many options to choose from.

RiverSong1

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016

Thought as much about the thumb drive. Got a 3.0 thumb drive. It booted, loaded the software. However, I've gotten error message that says the hard drive is damaged. I plan to replace it. Will I need any sort of connectors for the hard drive?

RiverSong1

Commendable
Nov 4, 2016

I have asked a supplier with the best cost about this issue. Because it advertises that it doesn't sell connectors, I am left to believe that I will actually need them. Will I or won't I need connectors to replace a hard drive on a Toshiba Satellite C855-S5133 laptop?

I think that it should come with what it needs as well. However, if it doesn't, I need to be prepared.