Bose ie2 cable repair (base of the earbuds)

sloth243

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
I've used this set of ear-buds for a couple years, at least, and they are starting to break down.

Both wires, directly at the base of the ear-buds, are cracked. The left is even more damaged, and the wire(s) have likely shed their connection. The right side still works, but the left is no longer functional.

I've seen videos on how to repair broken wires in the middle of the cord (using solder gun, electrical tape, etc.) But if the cord break is right up against the ear-bud, is it possible to make a similar repair without somehow tearing into the ear-bud itself?

Solution
Yep - I'm sure you'd have to pull the ear piece apart. Sometimes they're glued together. They're not made for repairing. Warranty would be by replacement.

sloth243

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
Thank you for the quick reply.

Do you mean I would need to pull the ear-bud apart (first) to see ? I don't have much experience with this. I'm having trouble getting the visual on how to get the needed wires back together. With or without damage to the plastic in the process.

I didn't see any obvious way to take apart the actual ear-bud itself. But I might also try to link a couple pictures to show exactly what the cable looks like at the base

You need to be able to see where the wire is broken.

They are tiny wires. You need to be able to strip the insulation back without breaking the conductor. None of this is easy. It takes practice. Most people wouldn't even try to do the repair.

sloth243

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
Thanks again. I thought that might be the case, and my initial feeling would be NOT to even attempt. I'm going to try and post a picture of the cord / cable breakage location, but I just don't see how I would be able to separate the fine wires, in such a small space, without somehow breaking into the ear-bud itself..

sloth243

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
Yeah, I didn't notice any 'easy' way inside the ear piece itself. It's likely beyond repair (for me) at this point. And I think the warranty probably expired a couple years ago.

Thank you for all the help. I will probably spend some add cash towards another set that I don't accidentally abuse when exorcising, or while at work.