Bought a new (3rd party) battery for my 2011 Asus n55sf.. But only get 1:30 of battery life?

Patrick Pennarts

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Hi there guys,

So I decided to use my 'old' laptop again, a Asus N55SF or X5qs (both the same), which is still quite fast, having a GT555m and i7 2nd gen installed.

But because it is already 4 years old, I decided it was time to buy a new laptop battery. Asus ofcourse doesn't provide them anymore so it had to be a 3rd party battery. The battery says it has 5200maH and 10.8V output.

Unfortunately, having Windows 10 installed with a laptop supporting only Windows 7 drivers, I thought it could be W10 that was at fault, giving me only about 2 hours of battery life (despite Windows 10's battery saving feature). So I decided to install Windows 7 for some tests with (what I think are the necessary) Asus provided drivers. But a shocker! It gives me only 1:30 hours at most! (BatteryBar gives me this information, and I believe its about correct).

Am I missing something? I have charged it, let it drain, charged it, let it drain again for some time now, but the battery is not improving. Or am I missing a critical driver? I installed all drivers from windows and also from the Asus website. I believe the chipset and Intel Management are the most important for battery life?

Anyone that has a solution?

Solution
It will change over time. It will get worse.
Looks like you may have gotten "new" old stock and the battery has already degraded quite a bit.
Rechargeable batteries loose capacity over time.

Patrick Pennarts

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Update: I just tested the battery with some diagnostic tools, now it says the battery has 44585maH, while it is being advertised both on the webshop and on the battery sticker as 5200maH. Am I being scammed or will this change overtime?

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It will change over time. It will get worse.
Looks like you may have gotten "new" old stock and the battery has already degraded quite a bit.
Rechargeable batteries loose capacity over time.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS