Bought windows off ebay and the key worked, but Microsoft support said its invalid.

spencermnemetz

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
I'm refurbishing a HP Compaq 8300 computer for my dad. It had no hdd so I bought an ssd. The windows 7 coa wouldn't let me install windows 7 without buying an hp recovery package so I decided to just buy windows 10 OEM off ebay for $45. I installed windows 10 and activated windows but then I started worrying it wasnt a genuine copy of windows and might have viruses and other unwanted things. So I decided I would do a fresh install with a ISO i downloaded directly from Microsoft. But being an OEM key I knew I could only use it once. So I called Microsoft support to ask if I would be able to use the key again if I was just reinstalling windows. The lady told me the key was not valid and I should contact the manufacturer.
My question is if it wasnt valid, why did it activate windows and is there anyway to reinstall windows with that key?
Thanks

Solution
You can "maybe" reinstall, on that same system, with what you bought. But it might come back as not-genuine.

Just because it activates once does not always mean genuine.
The only way to know it is genuine is to buy it from a valid source. Some dude on ebay is not a valid source.

USAFRet

Illustrious
You can "maybe" reinstall, on that same system, with what you bought. But it might come back as not-genuine.

Just because it activates once does not always mean genuine.
The only way to know it is genuine is to buy it from a valid source. Some dude on ebay is not a valid source.

Solution

ryder57

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010

I bought a "genuine " copy" of win 7 ultimate retail . Installed it , regestered it , 3 months later was informed by microsoft that it was a developers version and was not allowed to use it . They really wanted to know who sold it to me !
The point being it took 3 months after registering it for MS to let me know .

TRENDING THREADS