Boy collapses after playing WoW for 24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilyry

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Has parenting gone by the wayside these days? You don't let your 15 year old kid continue playing especially when you know he's not eating or sleeping. Where's the intervention?

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Agreed - and this has little to do with the game and everything to do with the behavior of the individuals. However, knowing human nature, there will be hoards that will point to the "evils of the game" and try to restrict or ban them.

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
Exactly, I'm a hardcore gamer AND "new" parent (4yo daughter & 1 1/2yo son) and I've done a LOT of marathons/LAN parties/etc... but we would always eat like crazy (pizza/chips/burgers/etc... food would always come FIRST!) and slept very little, but still took breaks every 2-3 hours.

Would I stop my kids from playing games? hell no (as long as he "deserved it") Would I stop them from doing the same I did? No, but I'd give them money to buy food damnit lol, or at least host the marathon at my house so I can check on them from time to time.

I hope to god my kids won't be stupid enough to go without food or have less than 4 hour sleep in the past 48 hours... that's just brain dead moronic.

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Has responsible reporting gone by the wayside? If it's news that someone was first to level 80 then of course a bunch of teenagers are going to try for that same type of fame.

What's next? "Boy breaks leg trying to emmulate Tony Hawk"? Quick -- ban skateboards!

Michael

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Wilyry[/nom]Has parenting gone by the wayside these days? You don't let your 15 year old kid continue playing especially when you know he's not eating or sleeping. Where's the intervention?[/citation]

Exactly!!

I haven't even purchased the expansion to WoW myself. It doesn't seem like that big a deal to me. Sad thing is though, it's not only 15 year olds that play this much. Lots of folks spend every minute available doing this. It's sad. :(

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
MMOs are a plague, but it's a good example of things to come if technologies such a VR (virtual reality) ever come to life.

Most MMOs are quite immersive, but VR would be the pinnacle of immersion (obviously) and probably screw up our society completely.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Dechy[/nom]MMOs are a plague, but it's a good example of things to come if technologies such a VR (virtual reality) ever come to life.Most MMOs are quite immersive, but VR would be the pinnacle of immersion (obviously) and probably screw up our society completely.[/citation]

Only the idiots it would screw up. Which is ok because idiots are screwed up all ready, all it would do is make them more screwed up.

Too bad the kid didn't die, would of been natural selection at work. Really sad that idiots like him can still survive today.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
StarCraft is not a MMO. Hmm, it is a Blizzard game though... Anyway, MMOs and other addictive games might be a plague but the responsability should always go towards the gamer, not the game. We're not gonna ban games because some kid abused it and collapse. Like we're not gonna ban cars because people drive recklessly or ban guns because they kill people... In our society, we always try to blame things for our behavior but the problem is, and will always be the people. We have to take responsabilities of our own actions.

G

They should ban freewill and let the government control everybody!!!

w00t for idiots

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
i used to play for up to 2 days strait sometimes little food cuz we didnt have any... but i was just fine. Must be the kind of person that is more at risk for ill effects of lack of sleep and low food, i mean its 24hrs...

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]StarCraft is not a MMO. Hmm, it is a Blizzard game though... Anyway, MMOs and other addictive games might be a plague but the responsability should always go towards the gamer, not the game. We're not gonna ban games because some kid abused it and collapse. Like we're not gonna ban cars because people drive recklessly or ban guns because they kill people... In our society, we always try to blame things for our behavior but the problem is, and will always be the people. We have to take responsabilities of our own actions.[/citation]
should we ban drugs, even though we know they are harmful? (smoking cannabis won't hurt anyone in the near vicinity like alcohol... or an excessively tired gamer trying to drive home)

computerninja7823

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]piratepast40[/nom]The whole danged internet thing should be outlawed![/citation]
no it should not....
[citation][nom]Wilyry[/nom]Has parenting gone by the wayside these days? You don't let your 15 year old kid continue playing especially when you know he's not eating or sleeping. Where's the intervention?[/citation]
AGREED!!!

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Besides, who plays WoW anymore?

(that was a joke, though wow does SUCK)

I await to hear about how this same kid jumps in a swimming pool with no water in it. GG everyone.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Only 24 hours? Korean man lasted 50 hours, Chinese boy 36 hours and a Swede 24? What happened to all the good social service/health care we heard about? I bet most American can last at least 48 hours.

notsew

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
I did close to a couple of 20hr sessions in Everquest, but because there was downtime I went to the washroom, always drank water and always made room to eat. and We kicked ass of course I was crazy then and young and I dont play MMO anymore because they are to addictive for me but hey they should be eating atleast

G

The parents knew that he was playing this long and didn't stop? Is this a joke? Someone please take this child away from his parents who obviously don't have a clue how to raise a child.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]I bet you those parents would blame a gun for killing someone.[/citation]
Sadly, that has already happened.

Now you bring up the issue of firearms. What good is a firearm if you lock it into a safe and someone comes into your house? Maybe you should teach lil' johnny "Hey if you touch this YOUR GONNA DIE SLOWLY", about a 90% he will leave it alone, especially if you threaten to ground him too.

Parents are getting so pathetic these days. And DHS doesn't help none either.

Status
Not open for further replies.