Boy Uses Pancake Inquiry on Facebook as Alibi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlauzon76

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Just going to the NYT's article, you can see why he got charged in the first place, he was black, the police & DA wanted a scapegoat; typical bullsh*t!!!

G

Alot of the responses are all about remote desktop. Yes, it IS possible that could have happened. BUT in order to do that on a smartphone you would have to sit and deal with a slow connection and a very small screen. On a laptop it would be much faster but you need to sit down, establish the connection then send the message.
Did anyone stop to think that if they were doing all that during the robbery they wouldn't have time to actually DO the robbery OR even have enough time to escape from the scene before the police got there?
Yes, it is possible that someone could remote desktop to another computer and send something from that remote computer, but the likelihood of that actually happening and being able to pull off a robbery is slim to none!

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Sounds to me like the DA actually did the right thing to me. Once the DA verified through Facebook about the post and where and when it happened they did what they should have done. Drop the charges. At least in this case the right thing was done.

Ransom22

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Without any other evidence against him, I would say that it's a good enough alibi. "Innocent until proven guilty." Now if they had other evidence that put him at the robbery it could be argued that someone else posted the FB status change to try and give him the alibi, but it doesn't sound like the DA had anything else on him.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
[citation][nom]mrcmark[/nom]lucky for him he has an alibi. But there is also a possiblity that some else used his facebook account.[/citation]

Exactly.

G

People are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Obviously the DA didn't have sufficient evidence in the first place.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
As it has been said before, this kid could have taken a laptop to the robbery location, used a third-party remote access software or the built in remote software and post the entry. Of course, the "less complicated" answer is that his father posted the entry for his criminal kid and got him an alibi.

If they actually did their job and verified that the people involved were not lying, then fine. This is still a really weak shit alibi.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The fat chick was siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing on the keyboard shen she sent the status update from his computer. Planned nicely.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]"A boy accused of playing a part in a robbery was been released after his attorney used his Facebook status to prove his innocence." Ah. Was been released. Sorry Jane, I didn't finish the rest. If you can't fix simple errors in your headline I have no confidence in the rest of your article. I'm sorry if that is rude but this is a Technology News and Hardware site. If you can't edit your own paper properly or find someone else to edit it you really don't have any business writing in the first place. This isn't middle school although I would probably expect a middle school student to be able to locate that error. Sad. Sad how far Tom's Guide has fallen.[/citation]

When we put articles in the system, the lead is inserted into a completely different place than the rest of the article. This is why it's often overlooked during the editing process.

I know that this is no excuse, but I also think there's no excuse for being rude. I'm tired of people using the, "a middle school student wouldn't make that mistake," example when it's clearly a typo/a case of simple human error.

Anyway, sincere apologies. The mistake has been corrected.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Sad. Sad how far Tom's Guide has fallen.[/citation]

Yes. It is sad. Sad. How far Tom's has fallen.

I don't understand how a person can berate another for grammatical errors while making one. I am pretty sure any middle school student would be able to point out the fact that "Sad." is not a complete sentence requiring a period.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
On the next episode of "Grammar Drama", will tayb regain his faith in Tom's Guide? Will Jane be able to fix the lead of her othwerwise good story? Answers to these questions no one gives a rat's ass about, and much more, coming up next!

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]On the next episode of "Grammar Drama", will tayb regain his faith in Tom's Guide? Will Jane be able to fix the lead of her othwerwise good story? Answers to these questions no one gives a rat's ass about, and much more, coming up next![/citation]

You spelled otherwise wrong. I kid, I lol'd at your comment enough to get looks from my co-workers :)

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Wow apparently no one knows how our court system works huh???? Look even if he did do the crime and remotely logged into his pc and did the update to facebook it still creates reasonable doubt. Otherwise the gov could charge anyone one of us with anything they wanted without substantial evidence.

What the hell are they teaching people in school these days for everyone not to understand this concept???? lol

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]When we put articles in the system, the lead is inserted into a completely different place than the rest of the article. This is why it's often overlooked during the editing process. I know that this is no excuse, but I also think there's no excuse for being rude. I'm tired of people using the, "a middle school student wouldn't make that mistake," example when it's clearly a typo/a case of simple human error.Anyway, sincere apologies. The mistake has been corrected.[/citation]

Dont take it personal. I do not see those that critize so much posting there works on the internet for millions to scrutinize. Atleast we all have something to read here on Toms when we should all be working ourselfs :)

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
The DA made a mistake. He could have remoted in from his phone or something and post the comment, or given the password account to someone to do it for him at the time of the robbery.

if there is no physical evidence that he was in his apartment, you can not prove that he as there.

Status
Not open for further replies.