Brand new laptop is very slow; upgrade RAM or SSD (or both)?

officialjlens

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
I just bought a new Acer laptop yesterday and it's already painfully slow. It's nearly impossible to multitask or even have multiple tabs open. It's a Acer E5-523-912C with an AMD A9-9410 2.9 GHz processor, Radeon R5 M430 (2GB), 4 GB and a 1 TB HDD. It has Window 10 installed too. Now I'm pretty knowledgeable tech-wise so I'm aware that it's my specs that are making the laptop run slow. I also uninstalled as much bloatware as I could. Now I'm considering upgrading the ram (single slot only) from 4 to 8 GB. But I was also wondering if it's better if I upgrade to an SSD. I'm on a budget so I most likely can't do both, so which should I go for? Or are there any better solutions you can think of? Thanks in advance!

officialjlens

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

Is it possible for you to list down the pros and cons of upgrading either the RAM or the SSD? I bought the laptop for college and not really for gaming, but being able to play some games on it would be nice. My main aim is for the laptop to be able to multitask (eg: browsing w/ multiple tabs, microsoft office and spotify all on) without having too much lag.

officialjlens

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017

I mentioned in my initial post that I've uninstalled as much bloatware as I could. I've even removed the pre-installed Norton Anti-Virus since it's known to somewhat bog down the laptop. Windows Defender is a better option

officialjlens

Prominent
Jul 22, 2017
Update: I convinced my parents to get a better laptop lol, it's now a Lenovo with an i5-7200, 12 GB RAM, 920 MX 2 GB and a Full HD Display. Thanks for the help again guys :)