Brand new laptop seems to be running hot?

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
I just got this gaming laptop in August, paid a good amount of money for it.,Under normal load(Idle it) it runs between 32-42 degrees.Heavy load it is getting up to 80.I have it on a hard surface with a cooling pad and I have a fan blowing towards it, unfortunately I live in FL so my room is on the warmer side.I don't want to send it back, they do not have this laptop anymore where i bought it and sending it in for repairs under warranty could take up to two months and its the only computer I have.Right now I'm only browsing the internet and the laptop is at 34.I was just in a game, and it got to 80.

Machine name: MSI
Machine Id: {10D1ED2C-037F-43BF-A629-CC56941F3A80}
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_inmarket.161004-2338)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model: GE72 6QD
BIOS: E1795IMS.110
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16292MB RAM
Page File: 3429MB used, 15294MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Edit: I just used some compressed air on it, and it didn't help at all.

Solution

Yeah, the thinner the laptop, the faster the fans need to spin to keep the temps down.
The idle temp seems completely normal to me, and as you said your room is somewhat warm, the temp under heavy load doesn't seem unusual either. The laptop in my sig (MSI GT70) runs at about the same temps. Both your GPU and CPU are probably designed to run at temps near 100 degrees celcius if need be before throttling, so yours are operating well within those limits. Gaming laptops in general run pretty hot due to the limited space available inside.

RandomGuy42

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
I would recommend using an attachable laptop fan such as one that could clip directly over the fan. This one seems good:

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Auto-Temp-Detection-Installation-Compatible/dp/B01NACVLWM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484269386&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=laptop+cooling+fan&psc=1

It measures the temperature of the air in your computer, so it knows automatically when to speed up and slow down. If your laptop has temperatures in that level, a laptop fan that attaches to the laptop (not a cooling pad, the airflow is blocked by the laptop's body) should help to bring down your CPU temperature.

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
I would say my room is about 73 degrees with ac and fan running.I was just playing a game now and the laptop was at 82.

Edit: Oh! I didn't know they made those, that's pretty handy! Thanks for posting that.

I bought this laptop for gaming because my old one wasn't a gaming laptop, so it didn't work well.The laptop runs well enough, but its getting hot under gaming, which defeats the purpose as to why I updated.I'm not sure what safe temps are I googled a lot and seen different answers.

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Maybe, its a brand new game that came out not too long ago, Its called Planet Coaster.
I'm playing the Sims 4 right and been playing it for a couple hours and the highest temp it got was 58, right now its 40.But as soon as I launch Planet coaster, within seconds its up to 75-80 degrees.

When you mention temps, I notice you only mention 1 at a time. You should have separate temps for CPU and GPU. Although the thermal limits of both are similar.

I also noticed that you don't show a discrete GPU in your list of specs. Why?

Just checked the recommended specs for running Planet Coaster. Your CPU easily meets the minimum recommended specs for the game, but falls just a very small tad short of the recommended specs. Doesn't mean it won't run pretty well, but it probably will run a bit warm.

I still think that if you were to send your laptop in for "repair", you would be told nothing is wrong with it. Your temps are well below the designed limit of the CPU. Would it be nice if it ran even cooler? For sure. But the temp you are running is within reasonable limits. If it was running 90c or above continuously in most games, then I'd start to worry.

You could always repaste the CPU and GPU with some high quality thermal compound in an effort to get it to run a few degrees cooler, but doing so might void your warranty.

EDIT: Just noticed the recommended GPU for that game as well. A GTX 980 (desktop, not 980m). I think your lappy probably has a GTX 960m, much weaker than even a GTX 980m.

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
19167012,0,376513]When you mention temps, I notice you only mention 1 at a time. You should have separate temps for CPU and GPU. Although the thermal limits of both are similar.

I also noticed that you don't show a discrete GPU in your list of specs. Why?

Just checked the recommended specs for running Planet Coaster. Your CPU easily meets the minimum recommended specs for the game, but falls just a very small tad short of the recommended specs. Doesn't mean it won't run pretty well, but it probably will run a bit warm.

I still think that if you were to send your laptop in for "repair", you would be told nothing is wrong with it. Your temps are well below the designed limit of the CPU. Would it be nice if it ran even cooler? For sure. But the temp you are running is within reasonable limits. If it was running 90c or above continuously in most games, then I'd start to worry.

You could always repaste the CPU and GPU with some high quality thermal compound in an effort to get it to run a few degrees cooler, but doing so might void your warranty.

EDIT: Just noticed the recommended GPU for that game as well. A GTX 980 (desktop, not 980m). I think your lappy probably has a GTX 960m, much weaker than even a GTX 980m.[/quotemsg]

I just copied and pasted the half part of my dxdiag, I assumed people wouldn't want to scroll through the entire 5 or 6 pages, where do I find my GPU info?

DGPU Temp Idle: 28c- 35c
GPU tempe idle: 32c-35c

Heavy Gaming DGPU(Planet Coaster): 56v
Heavy gaming CPU: 70-85c

Other games the GPu runs about 40 and the CPU about 55 tops.Someone told me my fans are running rather slow.

0IfE1XF.png

This is my temp currently in planet coaster.

So I start to worry and shut the game down and play something else, I can play Dragon Age, Sims 3, Sims 4, Rollercoaster Tycoon, GTA IV, Skyrim all fine with no heat issues.

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017

I'm not sure where to find my GPU info, I just copied the top part of my dxdiage I thought the Intel was the GPU, So as long as my temps don't run above 90 in most games, I should be fine? what if it starts running at 85 in that one particular game, I'd really like to play it, and it runs quite smoothly, just likes to give my laptop a fever lol.

GPU Temp Idle: 28c- 35c
GPU Temp Heavy Load(browsing websites, videos) 45c-50c
CPU Temp Idle: 30c-35c
CPU Temp: Heavy load(browsing websites, videos) 47c-53c
GPU Temp Gaming(Other than Planet Coaster) 50c is the top I have seen it.
CPU: Temp Gaming(Other than Planet Coaster) 65 is the top on this.
Planet Coaster CPU tem: 85c...Almost 90c

I just copied and pasted the half part of my dxdiag, I assumed people wouldn't want to scroll through the entire 5 or 6 pages, where do I find my GPU info?

DGPU Temp Idle: 28c- 35c
GPU tempe idle: 32c-35c

Heavy Gaming DGPU(Planet Coaster): 56v
Heavy gaming CPU: 70-85c

Other games the GPu runs about 40 and the CPU about 55 tops.Someone told me my fans are running rather slow.

0IfE1XF.png

This is my temp currently in planet coaster.

So I start to worry and shut the game down and play something else, I can play Dragon Age, Sims 3, Sims 4, Rollercoaster Tycoon, GTA IV, Skyrim all fine with no heat issues.[/quotemsg]

Download HWiNFO 64-bit version

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/hwinfo64-download.html

Scroll down the page quite a way to find the download link.

After downloading and installing, click on it, then make sure "sensors-only" is unchecked, and "summary-only" is checked, then click "run".

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017

Download HWiNFO 64-bit version

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/hwinfo64-download.html

Scroll down the page quite a way to find the download link.

After downloading and installing, click on it, then make sure "sensors-only" is unchecked, and "summary-only" is checked, then click "run".

[/quotemsg]

I did as you suggested, not really sure what I'm looking at. but the cpu is Intel Core i7-6700HQ

I did as you suggested, not really sure what I'm looking at. but the cpu is Intel Core i7-6700HQ
[/quotemsg]

You asked where you could find your gpu info. HWiNFO provides that.

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017

It is the GTX 960M.:/ Bought this laptop thought I was getting a decent laptop.

Okay, admittedly, I'm lazy and not going back through to read all the previous posts. But isn't this Planet Coaster game the only one giving you problems?

Your GPU is a very decent GPU. Not earth-shatteringly good, but then again it isn't a $2500 laptop, either. It IS a decent laptop. Part of the problem is it is relatively thin and light at 5.95lbs (mine weighs 8.4lbs), which leaves less space for a great cooling solution, which in turn causes it to run warm (but still within acceptable limits).