Brand new laptop seems to be running hot?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
I just got this gaming laptop in August, paid a good amount of money for it.,Under normal load(Idle it) it runs between 32-42 degrees.Heavy load it is getting up to 80.I have it on a hard surface with a cooling pad and I have a fan blowing towards it, unfortunately I live in FL so my room is on the warmer side.I don't want to send it back, they do not have this laptop anymore where i bought it and sending it in for repairs under warranty could take up to two months and its the only computer I have.Right now I'm only browsing the internet and the laptop is at 34.I was just in a game, and it got to 80.

Machine name: MSI
Machine Id: {10D1ED2C-037F-43BF-A629-CC56941F3A80}
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 14393) (14393.rs1_release_inmarket.161004-2338)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model: GE72 6QD
BIOS: E1795IMS.110
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16292MB RAM
Page File: 3429MB used, 15294MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Edit: I just used some compressed air on it, and it didn't help at all.

Solution

Yeah, the thinner the laptop, the faster the fans need to spin to keep the temps down.

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Yeah, it is really the only game that gives me issues.
I paid $1700 for this laptop, so it was rather expensive, I just hope it lasts for awhile, my last two laptops only lasted a year, before either their hard drive failed or their fans broke.

I just don't wanna fry anything when playing PC, when my keyboard starts getting hot to the touch, I get worried.

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
I have a 4 year warranty, It came with 2 years and then I bought the extended warrenty for a 150.
It seems to be staying much cooler now, played PC last night and the temps were mid 60s.
However, the fans are very load, but I just figured there's not much to do on that end.

Yeah, the thinner the laptop, the faster the fans need to spin to keep the temps down.

Solution

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017

Turns out there was an issue with my fan, it started making a loud grinding noise, sent it to a repair shop and she said the fan was defected.She replaced it for me, just got it back tonight and its running so much cooler, and both fans are running at the speeds someone else said they should.

Glad the problem got solved! :D

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017

It kind of got solved, I'm bringing it back to her, I think she screwed the laptop up, my idle temps, used to be in the 20s and 30s now their in the high 60s and gaming its in the 90s....That is not right, I think she put in the wrong fan or something, I just can't afford to dish out another 149 dollars, especially since she charged me twice.Right now I'm just browsing this site and the temp is 56...

The fan is running, I can feel the air from it, I didn't feel anything before, and my laptop's monitoring system now recognizes it, but for some reason my idle temps went up.

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Because my warranty apparently doesn't cover the fan, and it would have taken 45-60 days for them to get it, fix it, and send it back when it only took her a few weeks.She called MSI and ordered the placement and asked about my warrenty, because she was worried opening it up would void it, they said it wouldn't void the warrenty if we're replacing a fan.

She charged me twice by accident.Had to go in and demand my money back on one of the charges lol.
She told me another reason my fan went was because it was so built up on dust.

She told me get rid of the cooling pad, it does no goo, and that I need to put a wash cloth or towel under the laptop to suck up the dust.She said otherwise, the laptop is in brand new condition, just that the fan was either defected or failed for some reason.

I have NEVER heard anyone suggest using a cloth or towel under a laptop to catch the dust. In fact, it is always recommended to use a laptop on a hard smooth surface to facilitate good airflow. I would not follow such a suggestion. I would instead use compressed air blown into the exhaust vents every couple of months to dislodge any dust build-up on the heat sink fins. Or even take the machine apart every six months to manually clean the fans and heat sink fins. It's already been apart once, so whether MSI considers the warranty void or not now, it's already been taken apart once.

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017

Yeah, I thought it was an odd suggestion, she called MSI, they told her it was fine that my warrenty is still good.She showed me how to use compressed air, but said to lay the cloth under the laptop....I was always told have it on a hard surface or a cooling pad that raises the laptop up so you don't block vents.I'm not sure how to take laptops apart otherwise I would have done that a long time ago.

In case you ever decide you want to take a shot at disassembling it yourself, here's a few video tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=GE72+disassembly

The nice thing is, you can watch them first to determine if you think it's something you'd want to tackle.

P.S. My best guess as to why the idle temps went up and the gaming temps are still so high: after watching the disassembly video, I see that it was necessary to remove the heat sink assembly from the cpu and gpu to replace the fan. Perhaps she didn't repaste the cpu/gpu properly before reassembling, or else didn't tighten the heat sink properly.

Autumn_4

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
So now I'm having a new issue with the other fan, the one that I had fixed is running properly now, and everything however, the fan on the right side keeps starting and stopping.the one with issues now is the DGPU fan, it will start and be at 6700 and then shut off and be at 0 for a few seconds, then pop back on again.

If she didn't repaste the heatsink, could that be what's causing the fan to stop and go.