bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I always wondered why they stopped making hd-dvd. It was so much better than bluray. I had compared how hd-dvd looks beside a bluray and hddvd wins. And what happened to those poor people that bought hd-dvd players for their xbox 360 or home entertainment. They all got ripped off. I would like to see hd-dvd back in stores(even though in small numbers).

John Smithe

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

I agree with you. There's is nothing worse than Blueray. My friends still own dvd players and can't use blueray disk in them because they only play in blueray players. Blueray is trying to offer a dvd along with a blueray disk to make-up for the fact that blueray is inferrior. HD dvd placed HD on one side of a disk and dvd on the other side. With HD DVD, only one disk is needed. Finally, I have to agree with you that HD DVD looks better and costs less.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I would like to see hd-dvd back in stores(even though in small numbers).
Good luck on that, blu-ray won the war like beta and vhs. Early adapter got the privilege to enjoy the cool things hd-dvd has to offer but blu-ray has the capacity. Like my camera that uses xd card - Im stuck with it. It's up to manufacturers now to make those product if they see fit. We can only wish...

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Blu rays were adopted over HD-DVD's mostly for there capacity, like rexter says. I cant comment on the difference in picture quality, but it is most definitely a step up in quality to a standard DVD, which is what they are meant to be. Blu ray players are also coming down in price rapidly, and compete with standard DVD players quite often.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
One of the main reasons that studios preferred BR over HD was the copy protection. Blu-ray copy protection was considered more sophisticated and studios figured that it would cut down on piracy. About the time the major studios abandoned the HD-DVD a 3-layer 51GB standard was finalized and was compatible with all existing HD-DVD players; also most HD-DVD movies sold were dual-layer and at the time most Blu-ray discs were single layer.

As for quality, they're both comparable. I own both HD and BR equipment and have several videos in both formats. The only discs I have where the HD-DVD is vastly superior to Blu-ray are the Planet Earth series, where the HD-DVD is 1080P while the Blu-ray is only 1080i. I purchased the bulk of my HD-DVDs after the format was dropped so stores were clearing out their remaining inventory for pennies on the dollar. Warner Brothers' Red2Blu offer was also great to "upgrade" many HD-DVDs to Blu-ray for around $5 each.

I personally believe that had Microsoft installed the HD-DVD drive as standard equipment on the Xbox 360 when it came out that HD would have beat BR. It also would be easier for developers today who would then have around 50GB to work with on each game disc compared with the 8.5GB they have now. If one format one in one region and another won in another, the studios would actually have been very happy. Say HD-DVD had one in Europe vs. Blu-ray in the US; the two continents would have physically different discs which would make international bootlegs less common as two physical standards would prevent much of it. There was even talk a few years ago of China getting their own format of disc to prevent subversive movies from being as easily available and to shrink the international bootleg market.

WebBeachBoy

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
However ~ all disks are now obsolete. Throw them all away :)

As 4k UHD is introduced (LG and Sony have already released a UHD 84" TV in the USA) higher file sizes will demand D-Cinema (q.v.) direct download. Who wants to buy a disk which can only be played in your own area and has loads and loads of unwanted unstoppable warnings and ads on first before you can see the film etc that you have paid for ???? Blu-ray mainly uses the same old outdated resolution that normal DVDs have but includes extra features. Dvd / BluRay is all last century - throw them all away. You can buy a cigarette pack size 1TB USB disk that will hold many Ultra HD films for just the cost of a couple of bluray disks. Whether the Luddite film companies like it or not direct downloading is the only thing that will exist in the future and disks will go the same way as 78rpm records .........