Britain to Install CCTV Cameras in Private Homes

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astrodudepsu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I don't want to start a US/Euro bickering fight. But it's NOT ignorant to call people from Europe, Europeans. That is the continent you are from. We use the terms Asian, African, and Australian all the time. They too are continents where people hail from. Now that is not to say that there isn't more detail. Certainly you also have a specific nation you are from, but that doesn't negate the fact that you still live in Europe.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
FAKE news article.

You can still buy 1984 from amazon.com (i just checked). And the UK government is not installing cameras in peoples homes!

The Daily Express is a cheopo sensationalist tabloid, similar to news of the world.

what a load of BS.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]astrodudepsu[/nom]I don't want to start a US/Euro bickering fight. But it's NOT ignorant to call people from Europe, Europeans. That is the continent you are from. We use the terms Asian, African, and Australian all the time. They too are continents where people hail from. Now that is not to say that there isn't more detail. Certainly you also have a specific nation you are from, but that doesn't negate the fact that you still live in Europe.[/citation]

Britain is an island.

Britain is not on the European continent. Therefore Britain is not part of Europe.

Britain is part of the EU, but not the European continent.

G

Remember, the state probably owns most of these houses, anyway. As LePhuronn said, you can't send 'em to death camps, but they shouldn't be treated as normal citizens, exactly.

For those of you living in countries *outside* the one mentioned in this article, the people who are going to be monitored will be the kind of wastes-of-space who are paid-for and housed by the state while giving back no benefit to the community (unless they deal skunk or whatever on the side -_-). These people breed excessively so that they can get child benefit to spend on cigarettes, and their children grow-up to bunk-off school, go out drinking from the age of 12 and nick car stereos/stab other teenagers.

So Americans, you have your liberty, but us normal - probably middle class or actually the majority of people who are forced to live in the same areas as these chavs (a term for those described above) - people living in the UK don't want these people going-out and causing havoc. It's not like everyone's homes are going to have CCTV installed in for Big Brother to monitor closely, it's perhaps a necessary precaution to prevent child abuse/neighbour abuse/dole abuse etc.

@ProDigit80: we're not (necessarily) talking about nutcases here, it's chavs - but I certainly do believe that they shouldn't be allowed to breed.

astrodudepsu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
[citation][nom]safcmanfr[/nom]Britain is an island.Britain is not on the European continent. Therefore Britain is not part of Europe. Britain is part of the EU, but not the European continent.[/citation]

Who was speaking specifically about Britain? I was talking about Europeans in general.

AND if you look at a map of a continental shelf, Britain is most certainly attached to the Eurasian continent. When that continent drifts, GB will drift with it.

lvlouro

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
[citation][nom]astrodudepsu[/nom]I don't want to start a US/Euro bickering fight. But it's NOT ignorant to call people from Europe, Europeans. That is the continent you are from. We use the terms Asian, African, and Australian all the time. They too are continents where people hail from. Now that is not to say that there isn't more detail. Certainly you also have a specific nation you are from, but that doesn't negate the fact that you still live in Europe.[/citation]

Won't argue with that, but there are people who generalize and start calling names to european when the news is of a specific country. that is why I said what I said. Don't start saying Europeans are this and that when just one country did something

[citation][nom]safcmanfr[/nom]Britain is an island.Britain is not on the European continent. Therefore Britain is not part of Europe. Britain is part of the EU, but not the European continent.[/citation]

Not acknowledging that britan's geographically Europe continent is just being ignorant!!!

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Seriously? Really? Cameras, by the government, in my house, to make sure of whatever? Seriously?

Does this news come from the Onion, or is it really real?????

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]gabtdw[/nom]Remember, the state probably owns most of these houses, anyway. As LePhuronn said, you can't send 'em to death camps, but they shouldn't be treated as normal citizens, exactly.For those of you living in countries *outside* the one mentioned in this article, the people who are going to be monitored will be the kind of wastes-of-space who are paid-for and housed by the state while giving back no benefit to the community (unless they deal skunk or whatever on the side -_-). These people breed excessively so that they can get child benefit to spend on cigarettes, and their children grow-up to bunk-off school, go out drinking from the age of 12 and nick car stereos/stab other teenagers.So Americans, you have your liberty, but us normal - probably middle class or actually the majority of people who are forced to live in the same areas as these chavs (a term for those described above) - people living in the UK don't want these people going-out and causing havoc. It's not like everyone's homes are going to have CCTV installed in for Big Brother to monitor closely, it's perhaps a necessary precaution to prevent child abuse/neighbour abuse/dole abuse etc.@ProDigit80: we're not (necessarily) talking about nutcases here, it's chavs - but I certainly do believe that they shouldn't be allowed to breed.[/citation]

Just because someone is in a different class or believed to be less of a good person as you, doesn't mean they are not entitled to equal rights.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Although the idea is ridiculous, its proves a tiny point. That is, seeing how a Xbox 360 does a better job of raising a kid as opposed to their parents...

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Disgusting! It's the parents' job to make sure kids do their homework and go to bed when they should. Look at Nazi Germany and Communist Russia: in both cases one of their major goals was to control the children. Indoctrinate them, make them think of the government as provider and protector, and you've got a stranglehold on the next generation. Do you know what happened to the parents of those kids? When they dared to whisper dissent against the government in the privacy of their own homes, they were betrayed by their own children into the labor and/or death camps. UK parents, wake up!

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Wonderful, more money wasted on morons who already get vast amounts of state
aid for nothing... :\

I'd rather they weren't able to breed in the first place.

Ian.

msuguy71

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
For those who don't think America is heading this way just look at what is happening over here. Our phone calls and emails are already monitored by the NSA through the telecos. There was legislation pending on putting gps tracking units on our cars. The Patriot Act (or as I like to call it the anti-rebellion act) greatly reduces our rights and freedoms. It is not a huge stretch to having cctv in our homes.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]No, some of the fucking scum families over here need to be monitored 24/7 so we know where they are and what they're doing.I can think of 3 in my street who are prime candidates. The only problem I have is the expense - I'm already paying for their drug and booze abuse through their unemployment benefit and now I have to pay again.Of course you could always execute them, but that's going far too Nazi as wiping out waster chavs and such scum is pretty much ethnic cleansing.[/citation]

They should work for their stuff, some low-profile job.
Damn, scums.
Damn the government monitoring them and costing money.
Can't they just put them on an isolated island somewhere?
Much safer for other people.

Cost less to provide food and stuff.
Also easier to monitor because they're closer.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]msuguy71[/nom]For those who don't think America is heading this way just look at what is happening over here. Our phone calls and emails are already monitored by the NSA through the telecos. There was legislation pending on putting gps tracking units on our cars. The Patriot Act (or as I like to call it the anti-rebellion act) greatly reduces our rights and freedoms. It is not a huge stretch to having cctv in our homes.[/citation]
So you are saying you have proof that the government is using the Patriot Act to read every email sent in America or listen to every single phone call in America instead of just to monitor people in America talking with known terrorists outside of the US?

G

[citation][nom]annymmo[/nom]Can't they just put them on an isolated island somewhere?[/citation]
They are all on an isolated island somewhere. Unfortunately for all us Brits it's called 'Britain'. I've also looked into this - the article appears to be without any factual basis at all, but then it is by the Daily Express - the UK's print answer to Rush Limbaugh but without the wit and self-control.

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Jinx13[/nom]W.T.F.Suddenly I'm proud to be an American again! At least our Gov't doesn't publicly invade our privacy, they have the common courtesy to be sneaky about it!No. Seriously.W!T!F![/citation]

Heh sure they dont.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Wayoffbase[/nom]Who in the hell actually watches all those cameras?[/citation]
Haven't you heard? As with all other things digital, the friendly, helpful, and paid-with-fish staff at Electronics City, Bangalore, India.

ukgooey

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
[citation][nom]tetsumaru[/nom]@ukgooey yours bins get done fornightly? poor yougriml0cked raised some good pointsthis is to prevent helping childrens deathsthe people targeted by this will be on many police lists for many different thingsthis is no more a invasion of privacy than tagging someone with those ankle tags to know where they areor putting someone on the sex offenders listi for one know my neighbour needs to be cctv'd i also know he would sell the cameras for some money for more white lightningthe jeremy clarkson quote is apt because he is a one eyed trollhe has no idea what hes doingthis has clearly been shown if u watch any interview by him or look into that wonderful youtube incident with himi aslo agree with clarksons decision not to appologise i wouldnt haveu mention xenophobesso far ive seen most people on a american site say that this wouldnt happen to them because of a bill of rights they havesomething that has been changed quite a few times by your supreme chourts i believe in amendments?britan isnt perfect no one said it isinfact most british ppl on here who made a comment agreed this is a good thing and a good step forwardwhat would u rather pay for cctv in well known criminals house holds? or the prison system our country has where in some cases they sent them to tropical destinations in warm sunny places in a attempt to get them to see the wrong of their waysthats the sun news paper that ran that by the way sometimes they do get things rightalso as a final notewhere is britans place in the world?u seem to know in a time when even our own goverment is confused and doesnt seem to knowso please enlighten me[/citation]

Yes, my bins get done fortnightly. Or alternate weeks (one general waste, one green). It's a good thing. Forces people to pay more attention to the amount of waste they create and minimises landfill.

I didn't say that griml0cked hadn't made any good points. Not sure what you were reading but it obviously wasn't my post. In fact some good points were made. As have been made by many other posters, including yourself. Please re-read.

This was not my point. Randomly slagging off the country (or any country) without thinking it through or being armed with more facts is wrong.

I also agree with Clarkson's decision not to apologise. It's his opinion. However this entertainment legend really should not be taken too seriously. I watch all his programs and read his columns and books. I generally really like the guy. Sadly though, he has the morals and political philosophy of a child and contradicts himself regularly. He is there for entertainment purposes only and should really stay that way. Or we can get Gordon Brown to present Top Gear.

The Sun has gotten things correct in the past. Only the football results though. And Page 3. That's it.

And I'll tell you where we are in the world. We're in a place that people of many other countries would like to be. More people come than leave. That should say a lot. Do you think that if you had a choice of living anywhere in the world, there would be more countries you'd rather live in than Britain? If so, you need to travel more, read more. Enlightened yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.