British Nationals Refused Entry to U.S. Over Twitter Tweets

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
just shows that they scan every tweet and post that anyone makes.
good thing for me i use neither twitter nor facebook.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]I work for the government and well...this is just embarrassing. Detaining tourists and then deporting them is sure to help our economy.[/citation]

So you are labeling yourself at the beginning as either an enemy of freedom or ignorant.

[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]I think you mean at our worst. You seem to forget all the things the U.S. has actually done for the world. Nobody even compares when it comes to giving away foreign aid, and remember WWII? Yeah, we gave blood there too. Hey, come to think of it...the U.S. has a history of being pretty decent. People are way too cynical. One stupid instance and now we're all stupid in the USA. What about all the tourists that come here without any problems? Should I hate everyone who isn't American just because you're an anti-American jerk?[/citation]

We have a history of being pretty decent in what way? We rounded up japanese americans (yes, citizens of America) and put them in concentration camps. Sounds pretty decent. I am American and I hate most Americans because they are stupid, lazy, irrational, and ignorant of everything going on around them. You work for the government, which means you have willingly made a choice to spend your days assisting them in one unconstitutional program or another. You either approve of the government, or are unaware of their actions? I would hate to think that you are aware of what they have been doing, disapprove of it, and yet still spend day after day working for them.

[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]That does not extend to non-citizens. Furthermore, they were detained - not beaten.[/citation]

Does not extend? Uhm, the bill of rights is not something the Constitution gave us. We didn't have freedom of speech because we were American. We had it because we were human beings. The Bill of Rights simply states that the government is unable to infringe on these basic human rights. Pull your head out of your butt, government worker.

[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]Most criminals are dumb. You would be surprised at just how dumb most criminals are. The educated prefer to work with the existing societal infrastructure, not make chaos out of everything.[/citation]

You mean the ignorant prefer to work in this existing social infrastructure. I prefer freedom, personally. Everything about this system is wrong. It is all messed up, it is sick. You can see the sickness everywhere you go. Homelessness, unemployment, crime, all systematic of the system that you think the educated prefer. I say you are less intelligent than most criminals, as you willingly work for the most criminal entities on this planet and yet talk about criminals like it only includes thugs robbing convenience stores. That or you are the world's largest hypocrite.

njt

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
you all just need to use some common sense, guys. you'll be ok if you follow two sensible rules: never ever say anything online that you wouldn't say to someone in person, and check what you're about to post with the eyes of someone who neither knows you nor cares about you.

having said that, i have never understood people that go to the us, it's a big hassle and it offers nothing that countries with a much more relaxed and welcoming attitude to visitors do not offer in spades. unless you wish to visit stateside relatives, be smart and vote with your feet, take your money elsewhere.

onanonanon

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
[citation][nom]garyshome[/nom]Welcome toObamas new America! Better keep an EYE on your RIGHTS. Or wave BYE to them.I never thought that this would happen here.[/citation]

Really? An awful lot of people have predicted that this kind of thing would happen in the US for years now. Don't know how you missed it.

And I don't like to do the whole "for or against Obama" thing but I don't think you can really blame him for this one - the institutions and processes were set in place in the Bush years and before. The only thing you could pin on Obama is not having the balls to do something to reverse it.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
The redcoats are coming!

Such a hypocrisy. Undocumented people are sneaking over the U.S. borders to perform cheap labor all the time and a blind eye is turned en masse. If these people could only prove they can positively impact corporate profits, they'd get a free ticket.

On the other hand, jackasses need to watch what kind of information they post and make available to the whole world. Everything you post is free information for 'the man.' No Zuckerberg will protect you from this. Plus, it's text and can be interpreted and misinterpreted.

The U.S. government released a statement recently saying they would be going through social networking site information, forum information, and comments sections on news sites looking for possible threats.

fractalsphere

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
What I would like to know, and what no one is seeming to focus on, is how those two individuals had their twitter accounts so quickly associated with them when entering the country? Is is standard policy to data mine everyones accounts upon coming into the USA? Also, did these two actually DO anything or have anything in their possession that would have put them under suspicion? If not, then why were these random silly statements taken so seriously and why were they even looked at in the first place?

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Remember everyone: TSA has yet to stop an attack, even when they were warned about the attacker (Christmas crotch bomber). CIA and FBI have,but the TSA hasn't even once.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]fractalsphere[/nom]What I would like to know, and what no one is seeming to focus on, is how those two individuals had their twitter accounts so quickly associated with them when entering the country? Is is standard policy to data mine everyones accounts upon coming into the USA? Also, did these two actually DO anything or have anything in their possession that would have put them under suspicion? If not, then why were these random silly statements taken so seriously and why were they even looked at in the first place?[/citation]
The data mining is happening.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hang-the-9[/nom]Here we go towards 1984 and dictatorship.Humor, no longer allowed online. Next up, saying bad things about our leaders.[/citation]
1984 happened already, now shut up and take your SOMA

G

Shocking revelation:

Actually......they saw how the TSA were "frisking" all the other people and decided they wanted no part in it. They kindly asked to be sent back on the next flight.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]fractalsphere[/nom]What I would like to know, and what no one is seeming to focus on, is how those two individuals had their twitter accounts so quickly associated with them when entering the country? Is is standard policy to data mine everyones accounts upon coming into the USA? Also, did these two actually DO anything or have anything in their possession that would have put them under suspicion? If not, then why were these random silly statements taken so seriously and why were they even looked at in the first place?[/citation]

Maybe their twitter accounts were looked into when they first bought plane tickets to come here. Maybe it is common practice to search all social networking sites for anyone coming into the US. Trust me, it has nothing to do with security. It is just them implementing a police state. I do not believe they actually thought that these two individuals were actually intent on doing harm or digging up a grave. I am sure that they did this just to make a public statement: "Big Brother is watching!"

fractalsphere

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]Maybe their twitter accounts were looked into when they first bought plane tickets to come here. Maybe it is common practice to search all social networking sites for anyone coming into the US. Trust me, it has nothing to do with security. It is just them implementing a police state. I do not believe they actually thought that these two individuals were actually intent on doing harm or digging up a grave. I am sure that they did this just to make a public statement: "Big Brother is watching!"[/citation]

Those tweets were sent out hours before their flight, not when they purchased the tickets.

onanonanon

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
[citation][nom]fractalsphere[/nom]Those tweets were sent out hours before their flight, not when they purchased the tickets.[/citation]
Which makes the statement all the more powerful.

madeux

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
[citation][nom]raggedstone[/nom]You joined in once we were winning - i am aware you are all taught in school you won the war however joining a WOLRD WAR 2 years after it has started (and only after you lost a harbor) is a pretty douche move. It's like letting your mates get pummeled and then only joining in when they start to win and a stray punch catches your chin. Err - "we" being who? Because Russia and the US won WWII. The UK was a convenient place from which to attack the western front. Without the US, the UK would not have had a hope. (from the UK)[/citation]

You're obviously not familiar with the Lend/Lease act in the US at the time. The US had laws at the time prohibiting them from joining into the war until they were attacked, but the Lend/Lease act was enacted to allow us to let the UK "borrow" weapons, ammunition, and other supplies.

Can you blame them for being hesitant to jump into a second world war, saving your asses for a second time? Of course not.

madeux

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Yea but now people are saying stupid things to their friends on the internet where MILLIONS can read it and misinterpret it. Yea DHS overreacted but really now you should be careful about what you type where anyone can read it.[/citation]

As I recall, it was your precious George Bush who signed the Patriot Act into law, which is what gave them the right to do this. Try again.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]bebangs[/nom]-..-$&#89 I WILL DESTROY AMERICA, **$#@! -3-1-- I WILL BOMB &$*@#&%^ AIRPORTS OR AIRPLANE.$&@%* I AM - a TERRORIST.[/citation]

Sorry, your quote is breaking up...... The DHS may be knocking on your door soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.