British Nationals Refused Entry to U.S. Over Twitter Tweets

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]garyshome[/nom]Welcome toObamas new America! Better keep an EYE on your RIGHTS. Or wave BYE to them.I never thought that this would happen here.[/citation]

You're mentally challenged.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Have any of the people casting aspersions against the USA (as a whole) ever lived there? I have - and no, I am not a US citizen. While I don't necessarily like everything about the US (heck, I don't necessarily like everything about my own country) I like "Americans" in general.

Bureaucrats, on the other hand, are a different thing. If you met some of these people at the mall or in a coffee shop, you'd probably like them. When they're on the job, it's usually their senior management who determine the overall attitude. I've recently had very pleasant border/airport experiences, neutral experiences (professional and courteous, neither pleasant nor unpleasant) and bad experiences. I don't paint all of the US with the bad experience brush. This may be a case of overzealous workers, or it may be a case of two tourists who tweeted silly things and then didn't handle the questioning about it well and dug themselves in deeper.

Recently I was talking with an American who had a bad experience visiting Canada. He was speaking at an Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorist Finance conference. He was over tired when he got to customs and said he was there for a money laundering conference. It went downhill from there and he was detained for 2 hours because he got angry and defensive and the customs people dug their heels in too.

The average American I've dealt with has been nice. Yes, they are raised with the sense that their country is the greatest in all of time, and maybe they have a hard time believing that not everyone else in the world wants to be American, but so what. Maybe some of them are arrogant. So what. I've met people from other countries who are arrogant and think where they come from is greater than any other place. There may have been times that I have come across as arrogant about my homeland.

Please, don't write off the USA just yet. Yes, they are in a world of hurt. Is Greece doing better? How about Italy? Our whole world is troubled, and every one of our countries has plenty of its own problems. One ridiculous instance of tourists being turned back doesn't mean US society has collapsed.

Also, don't confuse a country's government and its actions for the regular people of that country. Way too often there is a vast disconnect between the two. Politicians and bureaucrats too often seem to think they know best and make decisions in that vacuum.

Now, I need to go wave my country;s flag around for a bit. ;^)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Folks, this is why you take international etiquette classes if you use Facebook and/or Twitter, and don't want to be denied entry into another country or arrested. What may seem polite in one region will be the equivalent to giving the middle finger in another region.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Wow, I really hope the people responsible for these decisions aren't the same people who are in charge of preventing true acts of terror by sophisticated, serious terrorists -- who by the way are probably not tweeting the details of their plans ahead of time.

Best case scenario here is that DHS has some other intel that actually gave them good reason to want to bar entry for these people, but they didn't want to give up what they had or how they got it so went with this tweet BS as a cover. But I'm not that optimistic.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]Never, ever, underestimate the stupidity of US officials.[/citation]
George Carlin once said that:
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

i never really thought that US officials are part of that.
to George Carlin - "true story bro!"

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Meanwhile 10K illegals flood over the southern border every day. How long before AQ figures out that little loophole?[/citation]The Department of Homeboy Security is too busy detaining and deporting tourists. Sorry.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Few points to make here for the people bashing America.

Not every American is stupid. Not every American is complacent with a crappy government. Not every American is a stereotypical jerk.

It's apparently easy to be a racist against a certain population, provided you just discriminate against someone for their nationality. Discriminating against someone for the color of their skin they were born with is bad, but the equally uncontrollable situation of discriminating against someone for where they are born is fine?

For the people (particularly the Brits complaining about us being a Nanny state), have you actually been to London? Big Brother is watching. :) If we're paranoid over terrorists, why do you have a bazillion cameras watching every garbage can? Afraid Oscar the Grouch will finally let loose his army of garbage-can trolls?

As for the WWII stuff, any discussion that goes on long enough eventually comes back to Hitler. If the people of various nations would have preferred we didn't intervene, I do apologize. Your ancestors complained we shouldn't ignore world politics and should intervene more on the world scene. We -were- a neutral nation, disavowed to European aggression. Which country in particular (CoughEnglandCough) begged for us to supply and aid them? How many people didn't starve because of our aid and shipments? Be careful what you wish for, as the saying goes. :)

G

"Folks, this is why you take international etiquette classes if you use Facebook and/or Twitter, and don't want to be denied entry into another country or arrested. What may seem polite in one region will be the equivalent to giving the middle finger in another region."

EDIT EDIT EDIT

"Folks, this is why people who believe that British people are coming to America to destroy it after digging up Marilyn Monroe's corpse is massively stupid, and anyone who defends those people should have their own intelligence and dedication to freedom of speech questioned as well."

Fixed that for you.

G

How did the US department of homeland security see these tweets, I specifically am interested in knowing whether the USA and UK are running surveillance on each others citizenry and bypassing domestic laws on surveillance. There appears something wrong went on here. I think there should be an investigation into this incident. Someone in government is breaking laws somewhere or this would not have happened. At least the best thing as more and more of these incidents occur eventually citizens are going to demand enough is enough and vote in governments prepared to protect citizens rights. While still managing to protect us against terrorism. This case just causes people to lose faith in their society, its sad that these felons employed by the government can play these games

Status
Not open for further replies.