Solved! Broadcasting via internal WiFi

Leadfingers

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I need to set up a system where I can take a camera in one room of a house, and broadcast it, via WiFi, to smart TV's in other rooms in the house. The Smart TV's all have web browsers, so if I could find an IP casting solution, it would be great. I can use either my Android Smartphone, or a webcam attached to a laptop.

This is turning out to be a lot harder than I expected. Thoughts?

Solution
Can you be more specific about "camera"?
Can use software like ISpyConnect or BlueIris in order to capture an IP or webcam.

The problem you are going to run into is the web browser on the smart TVs.
Complete and utter crapshoot if they support the video plugin needed for an IP camera, or other web based software.
You will more likely need another input box at each TV that is compatible.

If you could give me specific details on your project I might be able to suggest a better setup.

For my home I have several IP security cameras being handled by blue iris software. When someone trips the motion on my front door it pushes an HTTP request to launch a plugin on my home-theater-PC running Kodi software which then displays that camera in...
Can you be more specific about "camera"?
Can use software like ISpyConnect or BlueIris in order to capture an IP or webcam.

The problem you are going to run into is the web browser on the smart TVs.
Complete and utter crapshoot if they support the video plugin needed for an IP camera, or other web based software.
You will more likely need another input box at each TV that is compatible.

If you could give me specific details on your project I might be able to suggest a better setup.

For my home I have several IP security cameras being handled by blue iris software. When someone trips the motion on my front door it pushes an HTTP request to launch a plugin on my home-theater-PC running Kodi software which then displays that camera in the bottom left corner of the TV for 20 seconds.

Solution

What is "decently high frame rate"

We talking 30fps or something to catch a fastball at 100fps?
Any half decent IP camera can do 30fps at 720p with no issues at all.

Leadfingers

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
30 is fine. We could let it slip to 20 or so in a pinch. The idea is that we're trying to broadcast what's going on in the one room, and since you can only fit a few people in it, we're need the camera