Broken fan reciever on laptop? Any way to fix?

bleddyuffles

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
I have a fairly decent laptop I want to repair. Everything on it works completely 100%, except for the broken fan header. It came back from a repair shop ( for a different issue ) and my fan was no longer working, Im assuming they damaged it somehow :/. Anyways, When I was testing with it to try and see what was wrong, I saw the connector was literally metlting around where it connects to the board. It no longer works obviously. That fan header ( the female end, I dont know the name for this piece ) is now not working and the laptop will shut down shortly after starting up due to overheating. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I have a good knowledge of hardware, but I know nothing about soldering, if that would be required. I really hate to waste working parts. If I cant fix the laptop itself, could I put it in a PC case, and have some fans running off a seperate PSU to solve the heat problem and turn it into some sort of Franken-desktop? Any help appreciated

bleddyuffles

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

I didnt bring it, a friend did, and then gave it to me. I dont know where he went and it was a long time ago, I only got it out recently to try and fix it