Broken screen while installing new gpu driver on elitebook 8760w

frankfurrt

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
So, I think that I may have goofed. My Hp Elitebook 8760w has a broken screen, so I have been using an external monitor. I wanted to try a different driver, so I uninstalled my current one, deleted the folder, and rebooted before I was going to install the new one. well, it did not cross my mind that I would be uninstalling my graphics card and it would not connect on my monitor. Is there any way to work around having to use the gpu to get the external monitor working from boot?

Solution
If you can boot the hard drive into a similar laptop, you can install the driver. Try to access the BIOS and close the lid, you don't need any driver for the BIOS.

zer0c007

Notable
Jun 10, 2017
Will getting into safe mode, and using display properties and selecting the external monitor as primary then restarting in normal boot should now activate the external monitor as primary display allowing you to install graphics driver.

zer0c007

Notable
Jun 10, 2017
Also check the keyboard for a "fn" function to enable secondary external display I believe there should I remember a friend saying something about when he uses dual monitors for video editing.

frankfurrt

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017

What I am more so wondering is whether or not it will even connect to the external monitor without any driver? I am not that tech savvy so I am not sure if it will still work without it. It was showing up fine on boot before I uninstalled the driver, maybe I just didn't have enough patience?

zer0c007

Notable
Jun 10, 2017
I just checked my laptop (old Fujitsu-siemens which I don't use anymore) and it does activate external monitor by pressing "fn+f3" ......on the f3 button it does have a symbol for monitor which is a square within a square or some laptops will have CRT/LCD printed on one of the "f" keys after checking Google.

frankfurrt

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017

The screen on the laptop went black but the monitor did not come on. I have it going through the displayport currently with an hdmi adapter because this laptop does not have an hdmi connector unfortunately. I do not know where else I could put it. I have a usb 3.0 to hdmi adapter also but I had not yet downloaded the driver nor can I see to even log in or get in safe mode.

frankfurrt

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017

My screen is literally broken, as in it is cracked, showing nothing but odd colors, therefore my delimma of not being able to just get in and install the driver as I have no screen to be able to do so until I can figure out how to get it working with an external monitor.

frankfurrt

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017

So far trying to close it during various times of starting it has not done the trick. Thank you for your additional help though. Do you know if it would be possible for me to pull the hard drive out and install a driver on it through another computer to see if it is in fact the driver? The laptop was dropped, which is how the screen ended up this way, I guess it is a strong possibility something decided to quit on me now. Was just odd that it happened after I had removed the driver. Windows was doing an update also, but I do not think that would cause it. I run windows 7 on it.