Budget Video Editing Laptop for a child

rosphite1

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
I've a 12 yr old that wants to video edit some iPod videos and upload to youtube (pure beginner) from a laptop. Gaming is a minor consideration as he has an xbox. Could anyone give some recommendations in the £300 mark (not above £350)? Or what I should be considering e.g. AMD vs Intel, Discrete vs integrated GPU, amount of RAM.......
[I've been reading conflicting opinions on Intel and AMD etc...to the point my head hurts - any help would be much appreciated]

Solution
It really depends on the program they intend to use and it's requirements.

In a laptop, it's a little tougher - especially at the pricepoint. You want a strong balance of number of cores & clock speed, generally.

For a pure beginner, with a minor consideration for gaming - something with an i3 (minimum) and ideally a discreet GPU (although not a necessity) would be helpful. I'm not to up to speed with AMDs mobile offerings, but look for a quad core from AMD (minimum) with a decent clock speed.

As for RAM, 8GB should be the sweet spot (6GB should also be doable). If you're running the integrated GPU (especially from AMD, but true for Intel also), faster RAM speeds will be beneficial.
It really depends on the program they intend to use and it's requirements.

In a laptop, it's a little tougher - especially at the pricepoint. You want a strong balance of number of cores & clock speed, generally.

For a pure beginner, with a minor consideration for gaming - something with an i3 (minimum) and ideally a discreet GPU (although not a necessity) would be helpful. I'm not to up to speed with AMDs mobile offerings, but look for a quad core from AMD (minimum) with a decent clock speed.

As for RAM, 8GB should be the sweet spot (6GB should also be doable). If you're running the integrated GPU (especially from AMD, but true for Intel also), faster RAM speeds will be beneficial.

Solution

rosphite1

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

Thank you Barty. So in summary if I get an AMD with 4cores+ with 8GB RAM for less ££ than an i3 with 8GB I'd probably be better off???
[as I've noticed that the i3's in that price range are all dual cores]