Burner iOS App Lets You Create Disposable Phone Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]so you buy the app on your iphone account... and use your virtual phone... why do i doubt this is anywhere as secure as an actual burner[/citation]
It's not, your phone and your account will still be linked and they can figure out who made the calls. It's just a way to make money on something that doesn't actually help.

G

just another one of millions of worthless Apps on phones.

color me not shocked.

I'd rather have a real "burner" than this anyday if I was a crook.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]so you buy the app on your iphone account... and use your virtual phone... why do i doubt this is anywhere as secure as an actual burner[/citation]
The phone is ID'd by it's IMEI as well on the network. Since that doesn't change (because it's illegal to spoof an IMEI), your "burner" can burn you up pretty quickly in a real need situation.
Therefore, this is just a toy app for bored kids. The only thing this burns is your parent's money, and you will get some burn for that.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I can tell you firsthand that this won't protect you from anything but cross carrier caller ID. I work for a telco and it amazes me how stupid some people are. "You cannot prank call yourphone company!"

Cell phones are even worse since they have unique id's that they transmit with data packets (voice is actually a data packet ever since the switch from analog to digital). If you are worried about cellular security put your tinfoil hat back on, because there is such thing short of actual single use burner phones.

G

Yeah since IMEI or ESN for the dead-end CDMA line must be used, I don't see how it is anything but attempt to cash-in on some unsuspecting people, to financially compensate the mad hatter worked on this "Shindoku" some segment of a show more than a decade ago describing useless redundant stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.