Solved! Buy a TV for Internet use

stillusinganalogue

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017
I am not technically up to speed so please forgive me if I am asking for info that has been delivered before.
My question is simple:
I have an old anlogue TV that is still working but I realise it's now time to enter the 21st,. century.
- I don't want to use the TV to watch cable or over the air broadcasts.
- I want to watch DVDs. I already have a DVD player.
- I want to watch films that are freely available from a great online public library service. I already have Internet service, albeit at only about 5 Mb/s.
- I suppose that it would be good, too, if I could in effect use the TV as a monitor for my current, or future, laptop.

I hope that is reasonably complete. Thanks very much in advance for any useful responses.

What interfaces and technical features should I be looking for on the TV?

Solution
You don't mention screen size or budget.
In general any TV will function for you. I assume you would need a browser to access the public library service unless they have an android app. LG smart TVs have their own browser but you could use your laptop for that.
The only thing that comes to mind is many TVs will overscan the desktop when used with a computer. That makes accessing onscreen controls when you have a window full screen a problem so check that you can set the TV for 1:1 or adjust the overscan.
If the TV is doing to be small you could use a PC monitor.
You don't mention screen size or budget.
In general any TV will function for you. I assume you would need a browser to access the public library service unless they have an android app. LG smart TVs have their own browser but you could use your laptop for that.
The only thing that comes to mind is many TVs will overscan the desktop when used with a computer. That makes accessing onscreen controls when you have a window full screen a problem so check that you can set the TV for 1:1 or adjust the overscan.
If the TV is doing to be small you could use a PC monitor.

Solution

stillusinganalogue

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017

Thanks for your response. I am sorry that I might have been a bit clearer in my initial post.
Basically, I was not seeking a specific TV solution, rather a recommended feature set that I would need for a generic TV. In particular, I wanted to know about the specific interface requirements (e.g. HDMI, Wi-fi, etc.)

Since I posted I have done more research regarding the electronic interface requirements and have discovered other options. In particular, the Roku video streaming boxes were my next port of call and today I have ordered an older generation Roku box that will allow me to use my current analogue TV (S-video input) for a little longer.

In the longer term I shall be getting a new TV, as I said in my post. For what it's worth, I shall need a screen size of maybe 40'': I don't have a "budget" per se but I guess I would feel comfortable spending up to $500. From what you said in your reply, I assume that most new TVs now available will allow me to do what I wish to, as stated in my initial post. I shall not wish to use the TV in concert with a computer. For age reasons I want to have a comfortable viewing distance (10 feet or 3 metre minimum, so a computer screen is just not large enough.

Thanks again for replying.