Buy or Wait

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I am debating on whether to get a 3rd generation iPad or wait for Mar/Apr of next year to get the new model. I was an iPad2 user but sold mine as the 3rd gen was being released. In that time, I ended up changing to a small/thin laptop Lenovo laptop and found I didn't have quite the same need for the iPad anymore. I will be changing jobs and will be stuck in meetings more often so I am thinking about getting an iPad again.

Having just upgraded to an iPhone5, I am expecting them to integrate some of the same technology into their next iPad (A6 chip, in-cell touch screen, larger capacity battery, lightning dock plug). I am planning on using the iPad to be a tool for quick web browsing and email access while on the go so the only thing keeping me from buying the current model is the possibility that the new screen and cpu will lead to an even thinner and quicker tablet. I have several friends who have the current iPad and it does look great and feels zippy, just thought I would crowd-source for opinions.

Just in case any of you were suggesting a droid tablet like the ASUS Transformer Infinity, I have used Android OS on both phones and tablets as a tech at work and though I appreciate some of the awesome features, I am happier with iOS. Don't get me wrong, great design and good hardware but I just am not in love with Android.

Solution
That's a long time to wait.

I doubt the improvements would be worth selling the 3rd gen for the 4th gen, but then again, I'm not an apple fanboy who MUST have the new $4000 Apple branded product that only does everything the competition could do 3 years ago.
That being said, I'm considering a GS3 or a Lumia 920 for my phone upgrade in a couple weeks, after having iPhones for 4 years... Apple is starting to be unimpressive...

ittimjones

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
That's a long time to wait.

I doubt the improvements would be worth selling the 3rd gen for the 4th gen, but then again, I'm not an apple fanboy who MUST have the new $4000 Apple branded product that only does everything the competition could do 3 years ago.
That being said, I'm considering a GS3 or a Lumia 920 for my phone upgrade in a couple weeks, after having iPhones for 4 years... Apple is starting to be unimpressive...

Solution

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I am not a fan of Mac OS but Apple has been making portable electronics that suit my needs.

I think I am going to try to snag a cheap iPad and just upgrade in a year or two once they've made significant improvements. Even an iPad2 would suit my needs just fine