buying a laptop for next 10 years

May 27, 2018
Hi,

i need a laptop for next 10 years.

my requirements are simple.

1)a powerful quad core cpu (no turbo clock gimmicks)
2)16gb or upgradable to 16gb ram
3)below 1.5kg

i mainly use this machine for coding, so i don't need graphic card.

can someone with the knowledge in modern era laptops give me some suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Solution
look at lenova units. when they were owned by ibm they were best laptop for workers. also look at toshiba laptops. look at there warranty and how there repaired and if you have to pay for shipping to there repair depot. toshibia at one time you could cover the laptop for any damage. whe ni was a repair tech at micr ocenter used it a few times from wives running over there hubby work laptop. (left it on top of car on cold morning. ) unit had tire tracks on the case. at the time had toshibia full replacement warranty. sent the guts to toshibia and they sent a new unit with the customer data on the replacment unit that they could pull off. with any laptop go with a boot ssd drive. the ssd drive will last a lot longer then the laptop hard...

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
Generally, a rough estimate of the working lifetime of a laptop is around 4 to 6 years. Depending on your use case, it may last longer. I'd recommend a laptop with an recent i7 CPU - i7-7xxx or i7-8xxx, 16GB ram and a 512GB SSD. To keep roughly in your weight requirements, you'll need to look at laptops with a 11 to 14 inch screen size.

look at lenova units. when they were owned by ibm they were best laptop for workers. also look at toshiba laptops. look at there warranty and how there repaired and if you have to pay for shipping to there repair depot. toshibia at one time you could cover the laptop for any damage. whe ni was a repair tech at micr ocenter used it a few times from wives running over there hubby work laptop. (left it on top of car on cold morning. ) unit had tire tracks on the case. at the time had toshibia full replacement warranty. sent the guts to toshibia and they sent a new unit with the customer data on the replacment unit that they could pull off. with any laptop go with a boot ssd drive. the ssd drive will last a lot longer then the laptop hard drives that are made now.

Solution