Buying a laptop tommorow plz help me

hellslayer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Tommorow staples is offering a 6 month no interest, 6 month no down payments.... so i came to 2 laptops, and i need to know which one would be the best for games, media like videos and music..........

Toshiba Satellite A100-JH2 Notebook Computer
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=89,90,91,4919...p;webid 2000 CAN

or

Hewlett Packard Pavilion dv5040us Notebook Computer
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=89,90,91,4919...p;webid 1800 CAN

also maybe this one

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=89,90,91,4919&webid=635400&affixedcode=WW

which one should i get and is there any reviews for these??? also dont tell me to buy dell and stuff because i can get only staples stuff which i can just go to the store and buy. and these are there best labtops...... plz help

Mech

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Btw, your links don't really work lol. I don't know your Canadian postal code, but after changing the region specs, I was able to get to the specs for those 2 laptops.
I would suggest getting the Toshiba, and here are my reasons.
1) The Satellite has the Centrino Duo, while the HP has Turion 40. The Duo will be better at running multi-thread tasks, but it may not run 64-bit programs in the future. But for now, if you're not too worried about using super-sophisticated-expensive programs in the future, go with the Duo.
2) The Satellite has the ATI Radeon X1400 graphics card, 128MB, while the HP has the X200M, 128MB. Now though those 2 may seem similar, the X200M (The one on the HP) is INTEGRATED! That means it....well, sucks, for all practical purposes :twisted: You'll be MUCH happier with the Satellite's X1400. At least it's not integrated. Never get an integrated graphic card unless you want to only browse the internet.
3) The Satellite has a faster hard drive, at 5400 rpm, while the HP has the..what, 4200? The faster the better.
4) The HP's standard specs DOES have more RAM than the Satellite; however, pay attention to the fact that the Satellite can be expanded to up to 4 GB's of DDR2! The HP can only support 2 GB's of DIMM (A slightly older version of RAM; though not much different.) RAM's can be upgraded VERY easily. I upgraded my laptop (A Dell) from 256 to 1GB with...what, $60?
5) Both have the same screen, same native resolution, so nothing to worry about there.
6) The Toshiba, as far as I can see, comes with an integrated wireless network card. That'll come in handy. I didn't see that on the HP, so...meh?
So, if I were you, I'd go with the Satellite, since they're only a little different in terms of price, but you're getting a better deal for the Satellite. If anyone would like to comment on the built quality and warranty on both Toshiba and HP, please post!
Also, I was not able to take a look at the third option you provided, since I did not know the name and once again, the postal code is one that I do not have.
Hope this helped. 8)

hellslayer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Btw, your links don't really work lol. I don't know your Canadian postal code, but after changing the region specs, I was able to get to the specs for those 2 laptops.
I would suggest getting the Toshiba, and here are my reasons.
1) The Satellite has the Centrino Duo, while the HP has Turion 40. The Duo will be better at running multi-thread tasks, but it may not run 64-bit programs in the future. But for now, if you're not too worried about using super-sophisticated-expensive programs in the future, go with the Duo.
2) The Satellite has the ATI Radeon X1400 graphics card, 128MB, while the HP has the X200M, 128MB. Now though those 2 may seem similar, the X200M (The one on the HP) is INTEGRATED! That means it....well, sucks, for all practical purposes :twisted: You'll be MUCH happier with the Satellite's X1400. At least it's not integrated. Never get an integrated graphic card unless you want to only browse the internet.
3) The Satellite has a faster hard drive, at 5400 rpm, while the HP has the..what, 4200? The faster the better.
4) The HP's standard specs DOES have more RAM than the Satellite; however, pay attention to the fact that the Satellite can be expanded to up to 4 GB's of DDR2! The HP can only support 2 GB's of DIMM (A slightly older version of RAM; though not much different.) RAM's can be upgraded VERY easily. I upgraded my laptop (A Dell) from 256 to 1GB with...what, $60?
5) Both have the same screen, same native resolution, so nothing to worry about there.
6) The Toshiba, as far as I can see, comes with an integrated wireless network card. That'll come in handy. I didn't see that on the HP, so...meh?
So, if I were you, I'd go with the Satellite, since they're only a little different in terms of price, but you're getting a better deal for the Satellite. If anyone would like to comment on the built quality and warranty on both Toshiba and HP, please post!
Also, I was not able to take a look at the third option you provided, since I did not know the name and once again, the postal code is one that I do not have.
Hope this helped. 8)
use the postal a2h 7b7

Mech

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
my recommendation stands. The third option, again, like the HP dv5020, has the ATI Radeon X200M, another integrated video card. Satellite should be the one you'll be most satisfied with.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
The Toshiba Satellite series has a really bad viewing angle on the screen.

But that x200 and the 4,200 rpm hard drive is killing the HP.

The RAM differences are negligable, but I think HP really messed up with the components.

Mech

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I agree with KillerNotebooks. HP is putting really crappy components into their mid-range laptops, and even their high-end laptops arent that impressive either. They could've at least put in the Radeon X700 for crying outloud, instead of the crappy X200M...><

hellslayer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
i bought the toshiba and this one came with everythink that i had choose but it came with the ati x1600 instead of x1400

Mech

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Even better! The 1600 is a Performance card, while the 14 is a mid-range card. You made a good choice. Hope you enjoy it! :)

kimo

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
www.cyberpowerpc.com
Seems to be the best spot for pc prices.
I have a friend who bought a desktop from them and has nothing but good times with it.
They have a turion 64 mt40 that ive heard killernotebooks talk about.
For couple hundred less.
Think i was to late posting for you. But maybe it will help someone else.