Buzzing noise only when sent to external amp, from desktop.

as3adtintin

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
Hello!

I just built a new computer with an asrock z87 extreme 4 motherboard. Everything sounds fine when I plug my headphones into either the front headphone jack or the rear audio output jack. However, when i use a 3.5mm to RGA plug that goes from my computer to my amplifier, there is a buzzing sound. This sound persists whether I use the amp for speakers or for headphones. Additionally, it is not the cable from the comp to the amp because I've tried using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable also and the problem is still there.

I've also tried downloading the most recent audio driver from asrock, but no improvement.

Could this be because the motherboard has a built in amp? I'm stumped and a little bummed..

Thanks!

as3adtintin

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
Hmm that's an idea, but the rear audio output jack is built into the motherboard... there is no opportunity for a loose connection there. Unless you were thinking about something else?

as3adtintin

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Oh i've never even heard of one of those before... I'll have to try that. Do you have a suggestions to a particular one?

I'm also just thinking about getting a dac, that would solve the problem too, yes?

G

Look for something like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instruments/pa-pro-audio-dj-equipment/other/auction-694646913.htm. I am in new Zealand (and you probably are not) so cannot recommend a local brand for you.

as3adtintin

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
I appreciate your suggestions, however the hum varies with the amplifier volume control. If it was a ground loop, the hum would be consistent no?

Additionally, the computer and amp are connected to the same outlet, and I only get this problem with that combination. When I use my laptop or an iphone with the amp the hum is not present. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

as3adtintin

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
So I finally went out and got a 3 to 2 prong adapter today. I first tried it just on the amp power and the buzz went away! I don't know a lot about ground loops, but I'm surprised this changed anything since they are plugged into the same outlet. Perhaps someone can elucidate me? Anyways, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I'm so happy to have buzz free speakers with my new computer!