c/sub port on a sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmett Turner 22

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
how will i know what subs will work with it or not ( does the port output stereo / mono / lfe or how does it work my sound card is the creative zxr and was wondering how i could add a decent sub to my speaker system

posts sometimes get buried or missed if they are posted at hours when many of us audio gurus arent online. it could also be that you were not very specific in what you wanted to do and did not provide details.

you should mention what kind of speaker system you currently have hooked up as there is a big difference in how you would hook up if its a 2.0/2.1 vs a 5.1/7.1.

for 2.0/2.1 you would need to use the 3.5mm front output with a splitter. one end going to speakers one end going to your sub. if your sub accepts only mono input, you may need to push both channels to one mono connection with an adapter. 2.0/2.1 setting on your pc doesnt allow you to use a separate sub only signal so this would be how you connect. you might want a lowpass filter on the line though to send only low notes through to the sub.

for 5.1/7.1 you can separate out the sub signal by using the c/sub connection and using something like a 3.5mm to rca and just using the one rca to connect up to a subwoofer which would carry the correct mono signal for subwoofer which would fire properly without any of the complications above.

if you were planning on having a 2.0 set of speakers and using the c/sub to output a sub signal.. you may have complications as windows/souncard drivers doesnt typically work in that manner.

a powered subwoofer will work fine with said inputs above. an unpowered subwoofer will not work unless you have an amplifier for it.

again, providing details... WHAT sub? WHAT speaker system? would allow for a better answer as right now i'm guessing as to what you want to do.

Emmett Turner 22

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015

i want to do a 2.1 setup but im confused by the c/sub plug. as i know most subs work via line level in or LFE, or rca and mono but are normaly chained to a certian port on a a/v R. all the subs i have been looking at have rca and lfe ports on the back.
search
how i originaly wanted to do my set up is soundcard (creative zxr) > headphone amp (schiit magni 2 uber) that doubles as a preamp > sub that has input and output (cerwinvega xd8s)> powered monitors (cerwinvega xd5s) ((or a better variant probly preamp> montor> sub). so i was just curious as to if the c/sub port is a better option or just something for those confusing as heck 5.1 pc kits ie logitechs 5.1 system

ps im good at setting up normal av gear im just retarded when it comes to hooking it upto a pc as soundcards are soooooooooo limited in termsof ports and such

Emmett Turner 22

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015

would i need low pass filters if i connect the powered speakers first then the sub ? also where would i look for low pass filter

Emmett Turner 22

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
if you're using powered (as in with their own ac cord and integrated amplifier) speakers up i hope you're using the rca outputs for that not the powered jacks (unless you also use a headphone with the magni2 not sure why you even own the magni2). if thats the case, you'd use a splitter on the rca jacks with one going to the speakers one set going to the sub.

a built in low pass would work.

Emmett Turner 22

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015

i have the magni 2 UBER to power my ath-m50x headphones which i primarily use but i also like to use my speakers on my pc even tho its a shitty 25 wpc crap amp from pyle so id like to get a powered speaker system with a intergrated amp ( i might just say <expletive removed, please watch the language thanks> the amp if i can find powered bookshelfs that thump good but alas thats hard as hell to do as alot of bookshelfs that are powered are classified as reference/ studio

in that case it would seem that connecting to the rca outputs of the magni is ideal. i mean technically you could use the 3.5mm out of the pc and have a splitter there but off the magni works as well. as i said before, splitting off the signal from either those rca or the split leg from a splitter before the magni would work for adding in a subwoofer like you want.

some of your better speakers are passive anyways. i'd likely just stay passive but thats your call. perhaps upgrade to a nicer amp.

on a side note, the magni2 is completely not needed for the m50x (i own the m50s the precusor to the x and almost identical). there isnt really much of a benefit from amping them. slight yes, but not worth the $100+ cost of a magni. you'd get better gains if you had a dt770 which could use an amp. offtopic but i thought i'd mention it.

Emmett Turner 22

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
very true the greatest speakers ever made are passive but i dont have to space on my desk to afford a decent power amp ( most good ones come in around 400 usd) oh and my system im using rca fully no 3.5mm the back of my soundcard has rca jacks ( im highly thinking about getting one of those mini reciver thingies http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-systems/crx-n560/?mode=model but im adamant cause of the price cause i can spend 400 on the cerwin vega powered system or spend 400 on just the receiver thingy oh and the magni 2 uber i never spent the money on it haha i wont it in a give away hence why i use it i use jriver media center and have it run in line out mode so my amp ends up being master volume control ( oh and i am looking to get a dt770 infact haha i got the ath on a special sale ended up getting them for 100 vs 160

((sorry it my topics seem kinda jumbled im just thinking of replies as i go on haha ))

i'm using a receiver for audio output to my speakers myself. its a bit large and takes up room but is quite convenient for my needs and has high output. i wouldnt trade it away for anything given my own needs. while mine was expensive some lower end ones are about $200 like the cheap sony unit we have powering floorstanders in the other room.

those mini hifi system receivers are often low output. while better than what you have now, they arent going to provide lots of power for output to big speakers. also i've seen ones less than half the cost of the one you listed.

for $100 the m50's really are good and hard to beat. the dt770's are much more expensive but similar to the m50's in sound signature (just better). if you're going to upgrade might as well get the 250ohm model. though seems a waste given you already have m50's. if you wanted to move away from the closed design of m50's there are some really nice open headphones which could benefit from the magni2 (like the dt990 or dt880) which go for about the price of the dt770 and while not having quite the bass of the 770 are certainly grand in their own right (but a little bright)

Emmett Turner 22

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015

oh i also been looking into the beyerdynamic custom one line as the cables are removeable like the m50x which i enjoy the fact that if the cable messes up in any way i can shell out 25$ for a cable and not 250 for new cans

Emmett Turner 22

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015

haha yeah ik bout the receiver ( saw it in the pics in your sig links ;p ) i do not have the room for that. and yeah the mini system wpc is normaly 55 - 90 which is pretttty damn low seeing as the cheapo sony sb-1000 i have runs at 125 rms 150 peak. and im not really ganna move to open design i love closed back punchyness of my headphones that and i have some one who watches tv right beside me and i dont think they wanna hear my music lol.
i listen to metal and rock so i tend to lean to a tight punchy bass and a slightly warm sound.

Emmett Turner 22

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015

very true (i read tons of revies that say the same hence why i been looking at the dt770 250s as a upgrade to my m50x headphones) i just wish they came out with a dt770R or some crap with a removable cable

Emmett Turner 22

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015

my desk http://prntscr.com/7q40kc pic is from before i got the magni ( crap cam is crap ik lol ) hence why i dont have much room for a receiver i can adjust for bookshelf speakers if i move the lamp but other than that im screwed in terms of room

get a bigger desk :)
mine was free and you can get secondhand desks for pennies on the dollar.

provide thats not an option, you could always put it on the tan cabinet next to your desk, up on a shelf (add a shelf above your pc, etc if you wanted one. i can think of ways that you could fit it in there if you wanted it badly enough. i could even fit full sized bookshelf speakers into that room.

Emmett Turner 22

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015

the tan cabinet has a printer on it so i cant put it on there. im nestled into a corner with a couch a arms length away to my left so not much room for a bigger desk ( which i got for a steal damn near mint condition real wood from braman furniture in canada for only 60$ heavy as hell but worth it im half tempted to just build some big arse multi shelf or buy something but dunno what i would do with all the stuff in the cab haha its full of computer mags and anime mags n computer building parts n tools n such.oh and astack of msdn subscriptions 3 years worth in front lol. and speaking of full size speakers i have a pair of technics behind me https://www.suchlist.com/oc-content/uploads/3/398.jpg freaking love those things and their hooked to a old pioneer amp those things can THUMP HARD but their not mine their my dads so i cant attach my pc to his speakers haha. i got floor space all around me the prob is my own desk space i have been pondering getting some kinda speaker stand that i can put the speakers on that will rise up behind my desk or something. i cannot drill into the wall or anything or i woulda had my monitor mounted up on a movable arm which i plan on getting a clamp version soon so i can rise my screen up its way too low for my likings. oh and i got custom made speaker wire cables that i can use if i some how got a amp under my monitor http://prntscr.com/7q4b7z sadly their kinda short since it was scrap cable for some 10 footers i made for my dads speakers

Emmett Turner 22

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015

and for bookshelf speakers i been looking into theses beauties http://www.klipsch.com/rp-150m
they cost soooooooooooo dang much but sound incredible i have yet to hear anything that sounds as good as they did ( no places near me sell cerwin so i have yet to check them out

for instance you could...

put the receiver under the printer with a small stand to keep the two separated for heat dispersion.
put it under your monitor
put the pc case on the floor, receiver in the corner with pc monitor on the one side or up on an arm
put a taller shelf with more levels left of your desk for more stuff

to name a few. your own choice what you plan on doing though. getting a receiver is going to be cheaper than an amp as you wont find many cheap lower end but high power amps worth noting.

Status
Not open for further replies.