California Identity Thief Busted with 300K Victim Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
law enforcement is always one step behind... get the FBI involved and please find out how he got 300k peoples critical information.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I think that 8 years is a slap int wrist for his crimes. He should get more time for his crimes.
(notice plural since he didn't stole from 1 person but over 300 thousand people)

I would make him pay 1 year per person... or 300 thousand years or until hell freeze over
whichever happens first.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]I think that 8 years is a slap int wrist for his crimes. He should get more time for his crimes.(notice plural since he didn't stole from 1 person but over 300 thousand people)I would make him pay 1 year per person... or 300 thousand years or until hell freeze overwhichever happens first.[/citation]

I don't think a slap on the wrist is in order, how about gentle massage:
If they made him serve a single day in jail for every life he tried to ruin, he would serve 821 years, 11 months, and 10 hours in jail.

At his sentenced rate, he is serving just under 15 minutes per person.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Well I wouldnt say his victims are ruined, most of these systems have fraud protection, which ironically lets this person possibly sleep at night, but the end result is the same. The money taken is directed back at the consumer, which weirdly enough is a vicious circle.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]I don't think a slap on the wrist is in order, how about gentle massage:If they made him serve a single day in jail for every life he tried to ruin, he would serve 821 years, 11 months, and 10 hours in jail.At his sentenced rate, he is serving just under 15 minutes per person.[/citation]
Although it is not likely he was able to inflict damage on all 300K people. He just had a list of people who might eventually get to. I do think it is a slap on the wrist though, this heavy of a problem with a repeat offender should have carried a stiffer penalty.

G

A California man was sentenced to 8 years in prison for conspiracy to commit bank feaud using 300,000 identity profiles.
"Feaud"?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]I think that 8 years is a slap int wrist for his crimes. He should get more time for his crimes.(notice plural since he didn't stole from 1 person but over 300 thousand people)I would make him pay 1 year per person... or 300 thousand years or until hell freeze overwhichever happens first.[/citation]
Yeah no kidding. Wonder what he'll do at a public library in about 8 years.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
This is willful wrongdoing. Upon conviction, he needed to have his head put in a bucket to catch the mess when someone pulls the trigger. GAME OVER.

DEVILVSANGEL00

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
8 years isnt enough as a added punishment id add 300,000 lashes carried out by the people on the identitys he stole over the 8 years he serves,

G

Identity theft is a HUGE problem for Americans. How many data thefts can we endure from big name companies like Sony, TJ Maxx, etc. However, we have to pay extortionate amounts of money for access to our own credit files, which are often riddled with outdated or incorrect information, illegally modified info from collection agencies, etc. Every day, we swipe our debit/credit cards and don't have a clue about our rights, let alone what is in our file. As long as big megacorporations get away with these breaches of our info, while the victims are left to clean up the mess with our own money, identity theft will continue to be the epidemic that it is, ruining the lives of the many for the benefit of the few. BTW, LifeLock will not help you - the CEO had his identity stolen after a disastrous ad campaign which displayed his SSN and dared people to steal it. FAIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.