Camera for YouTube videos with 1080p+60fsp - prefer compact

MagicCC

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Hello,

I am a complete beginner and want to buy a camera to shoot videos for YouTube. I'm not considering camcorders as I also want to use it to take pictures while on vacation and for general day to day life.

From what I've already read I can say that I would like to be able to get 1080p resolution and 60fps quality in the videos. Good AutoFocus and good in Dark Environments would be important as I'm just starting out. Timelapse would be a plus, but not essential.

Have already looked around and it seems that the Nikon D3300 can do the job (on the resolution side anyway), but for me it's already too bulky. I would like a Compact Camera or Large Sensor Compact for portability. Pocket size is ideal for me.

After searching through several cameras I can't see many are described as shooting video at 1080p and with 60fps, but many with 1080p (60p/60i). I have also read that 60p is similar to 60fps but relates to input instead of output and that 60i is indeed 1/2 of whatever you have for fps (so 60p would really be 30p). This is all confusing me a lot and I'm having trouble understanding the real differences even after googling it all.

Can you please help me choose a camera with your suggestions? My budget is around 400€ or 450$, but if a particular camera is really exceptional for a little more I'll consider it gladly. I live in Europe in case that matters :)

Thank you for any help.
Rick

Solution

Hello man

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

The Canon G7Xii. It has a neutral density filter built into the lens, which allows for smooth exposure adjustments. Tilty flippy screen, along with 1080 at 60fps. Bonus it you can recharge it from a portable USB battery pack for longer recording sessions. The downside is that it does not have removable lenses, like most compact cameras. This might not be an issue for you now, but it really does help if you get more advanced to have the option of using much larger, albeit bulkier, fast zoom or prime lenses.

The one part you mentioned about a small camera that does well in low light is a bit hard to satisfy. The Canon G7Xii does alright, but not stellar. The sensor is just too small in compact cameras to have good results. There is physically less surface area on the sensor for photons of light to hit, and so as a general rule, larger sensors always beat smaller ones in that regard. How can you remedy this? Get a few cheap lights off Amazon, and use them to light your videos. Artificial lighting is a little hard to understand at first, but the youtube channel DSLR Guide has a lot of helpful videos on the subject, and why it matters.

Feel free to ask me any other questions you've got!

MagicCC

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Thanks for the suggestion, I've read about the camera as well, but the price...any chance to get something under 450$?

Hello man

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

Ah. My bad! Totally spaced on that. I'm not really 100% sure what is our there that is that small and can do that without a pretty high price point. I think part of that has to deal with the expensive research and design that goes into fitting enough processing power into such a small package. Most people around this price point go for the D3300, and it is usually what I recommend.

Here are a few options though. One might be a keeper for you.

Sony Option

Panasonic Option

Both meet your requirements, though you might prefer one over the other!

Solution

MagicCC

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Thanks for that I'll have a look.

In any case, I do have an Olympus Tough TG-3 camera...I think it does 1080p, but only 30p not 60p.Maybe I should just go with that.

I remember reading something about how 60p in video equates to 59.xx fps in stills. Ultimately it would be the same for someone like me, but if someone who know can enlighten me I'd really appreciate it.

Hello man

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

In my personal experience, 30fps usually looks fine. My D600 can only shoot 30fps in 1080. More important is the quality of the video, at least where post processing is concerned. What are you looking to make your videos of?

MagicCC

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

I'm going to film my card collection which I will display with my hands, so the videos will be mostly me showing cards with my hands and nothing else.