Cameron: 'Watching Avatar on iPhone is Dumb'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
" Instead, the Blu-ray and DVD hitting the streets next month will feature nothing but the movie and accompanying menu, making full use of the discs' storage in order to achieve the highest quality."

Epic.

stratplaya

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
Dear Mr. Cameron, no movie is too big or too epic to be seen on a lowly laptop, or even an iphone. The only think that is too big, apparently, is your ego.

Sincerely,
SP

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
To me the same goes for streaming movies for laptops or desktops for that matter, the compression and resolution of the final streamed content does nothing more than fatten the pockets of the ISP's at the end of every month when you go over you ever more measly download quota.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
The story of Avatar really isn't worth watching. It was a pretty movie, and not a bad movie, but the story is definitely not its strong suit.

Minus_i7

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
"What I recommend is getting the coffee table out of the way and sticking your couch about four feet from your TV."

Well said, James. Well said.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I totally agree with him on this one.

I really don't see how anyone would want to watch the movie on anything but a huge 3D display. I can't imagine next months 2D bluray selling too well. Aside from the 3D, the movie wasn't very noteworthy IMO.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
the Blu-ray and DVD hitting the streets next month will feature nothing but the movie and accompanying menu, making full use of the discs' storage in order to achieve the highest quality
That's kinda pointless. After a certain bit rate you get diminishing returns in quality. This is especially true with Blu-Ray because of the huge storage capacity and more efficient codecs like h.264/AVC

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I actually dislike watching things on very large televisions.
If you have sufficient resolution and are sitting close enough to the screen, then you won't have any problems.
My 12" laptop screen is subjectively as big as a 30" television across the room would be because it's only a foot and a half away from my face.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Leaving yourself less than about 8' between yourself and your TV completely defeats the purpose of having a reasonably-sized HDTV. You're wasting a huge amount of money buying a 37" or larger 1080p television and blu-ray player if you're going to sit 4' away from it.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Some people actually don't care about the quality of what they are watching, thus iphone movies are fine. Look at everyone with ipod's that think they have high quality sound. I think those people are stupid, a movie is a complete experience, designed to have audio and visual "make" the story. If you cut out 70% of it (crappy sound, hard to see subjects) you're left with basically only the story, not the emotional tie-ins that convey the feeling of the story.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
In a related story, James Cameron is going project AVATAR onto the surface of the entire moon in an effort to finally find a screen he deems large enough to portray his new epic

filmman03

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]What I recommend is getting the coffee table out of the way and sticking an exercise machine in front of the TV you lazy fat a*S, Americans..., present company included.[/citation]

LOL

that exercise machine you are referring too is just too noisy to workout and watch a movie. Id rather enjoy the Blu-Ray on my 55" LED 1080p Samsung w/ 5.1 Surround Sound

and then workout...

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
What the last paragraph actually means : The April 22nd launch will be barebones to justify the 70 double-dip versions that'll come out over the next 10 years.

G

[citation][nom]stratplaya[/nom]Dear Mr. Cameron, no movie is too big or too epic to be seen on a lowly laptop, or even an iphone. The only think that is too big, apparently, is your ego.Sincerely,SP[/citation]
I like how you abbreviated your internet nickname.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]Leaving yourself less than about 8' between yourself and your TV completely defeats the purpose of having a reasonably-sized HDTV. You're wasting a huge amount of money buying a 37" or larger 1080p television and blu-ray player if you're going to sit 4' away from it.[/citation]

Oh man, there is SO much WRONG with this statement... let me begin here:

http://hd.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/

For the graph-impaired: for a 37" 1080p set, you MUST sit less than 5' from the set to see 1080p. If you wanted to sit 8' away as the clueless restatement3dofted suggests, you need a set AT LEAST 52" to START seeing the benefits of 1080p, and 70+ inches to see FULL benefit of 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.