Can a complete beginner to game developing easily learn how to use CryEngine 5?

ChaoticShadow

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
I'm new to game developing, although I have a reasonable amount of C++ knowledge. I decided to ditch programming for a while and see if I could develop a game.

I want to jump right into CryEngine because it seems to be very powerful and there are no royalties unlike Unreal Engine 4.

Will I be able to understand and learn easily? How long does it take to understand how to use CryEngine 5?

Thanks!! :) :)

Solution
Why not use UE4 or Blender or Unity too learn the ropes. It takes a lot of work to make a game, unless your ultimate goal is to create the next minecraft I don't see that the royalites should matter. As the way to go about things is different in all of them but generally they are very similiar. You will need to be able to do plenty of different things such as the art side as well as basic coding, etc to create a decent game even 2d games can become complex. Its best if you do so with a team.

I haven't looked but I am sure there are plenty of youtube videos that'll show you the basics and give you a kick start to understanding the program.

SKIPPY PB

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
Why not use UE4 or Blender or Unity too learn the ropes. It takes a lot of work to make a game, unless your ultimate goal is to create the next minecraft I don't see that the royalites should matter. As the way to go about things is different in all of them but generally they are very similiar. You will need to be able to do plenty of different things such as the art side as well as basic coding, etc to create a decent game even 2d games can become complex. Its best if you do so with a team.

I haven't looked but I am sure there are plenty of youtube videos that'll show you the basics and give you a kick start to understanding the program.

Solution

ashfaq786

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
I started learning with unity. There are a lot of tutorials on youtube on how to use it. I got stuck on the java programming part and the rest is just pick and throw on the map :3

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

If you've never used a Game Development environment before it'll take allot of effort. You should probably find some people to do sound design and modeling as well. You're not going to be able to master everything unless you're willing to spend every day on it for years.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Assuming you only want to use the generic assets built on. How many indie games on steam only use the default assets? Zero. Models, Sound, and graphics are all going to be needed.

ChaoticShadow

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

Thanks for the comprehensive reply!
Now that you mention it, I should probably use UE4. One last question though:
For Unreal, as long as I make $3000 or less from the game, I am not charged whether I never release it, give it to friends, or release it. True?

Thanks again.

SKIPPY PB

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015

I wouldn't worry about it anyway. You are paying a precentage of your profits for them giving you the tools you need to succeed. Its like paying taxes to the government to own a house in that country. Only uneducated fools will complain about that principle, now how much is a different topic. Its just how the world works, they are not charging you to use the program. If you made the next minecraft you would have enough cash where 15% wouldn't kill you. Again if you make money you own them for giving you the tools you need. Unless you would like to create you own game dev engine.

It is a lot more complicated then most expect and requires tons of work to get something stable and off the ground. If you should get so far toward making a good game you should have no problem getting people to stand behind it.