Looking for a game development laptop with a dedicated NVIDIA GPU

darthdeus

Estimable
Jun 23, 2015
1. What is your budget?

If at all possible under $2000. The absolute maximum I'd say is about $2100.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

I'd prefer 13" to 14". The absolute maximum I'd go for is 15.6".

3. What screen resolution do you want?

At least 1400x900, which is the absolute minimum. My current 13" MBP has that and it feels very limiting. I probably don't want a 4k display, but it's not a condition.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable. I already have a powerhouse desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Hard to say. I'm used to having ~10 hours, but having looked over more gaming oriented laptops, it seems 3 hours is the average.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I don't really want to play games, but I want to develop games on it, and hence play them to some extent. This would include larger-scale games that you'd create in something Unreal/Cryengine.

I also want to have the ability to use CUDA on the laptop, which means it must have an NVIDIA GPU. I don't need it to be the desktop 980 titan (or whichever is the newest :)), but it should have the capability at least run AAA games on low-medium settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Mostly C/C++ programming and low level software development in general. This would also include 3D game development and GPGPU computing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Either a 256GB SSD, or 128GB SSD + HDD, or just a HDD that I can replace (but then the price has to be lower to accomodate buying a separate SSD). I do not want a hybrid or SSHD.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I'm thinking about buying it from a local computer e-commerce site, but if there's no other option, I'd consider ordering it from Amazon or the retailer directly.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Probably around 2-3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Lenovo, Dell, HP and maybe even MSI, though I don't really have any experience with them, but I've found some very interesting laptops.

I really do not like Acer, as I've only had bad experience with them, and most Acer laptops I've seen have had a real shitty build quality.

13. What country do you live in?

Czech Republic, Europe

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

As I'm currently studying Computer Science (with future focus on Game Development), this laptop would become my "school" laptop that I'd use whenever I'm not at home. I wouldn't use it at home, since I already have a powerful desktop, but I don't want to limit myself to using just the desktop.

I'm looking for a gaming laptop not because I want to game on it, but because I want to run my gamedev projects on it without at a reasonable performance. This means that the laptop absolutely must have a good quality keyboard and touchpad. The touchpad doesn't have to be perfect (I'm used to the Macbook one, so by comparison it will probably be horrible), but it should work and at least not lag/jump around like some touchpads do.

Having done some preliminary search, these two came out at the top, but I'd like to see more suggestions if possible:

- https://www.msi.com/Notebook/GS40-6QE-Phantom.html
- http://alienware.com/landings/laptops.aspx 13" version with a dedicated GPU