Discussion can a digital converter box boost antenna signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reinarose

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
I read that a digital converter box can be used to boost my indoor antenna signal. When I connected two different brands, the smart Vizio TV reads "No Signal." I can't get the menu up to program. I've got the TV set to Antenna and the converter set to 3 (a non-station here), and the coax is in the right connections. Any ideas? Thank you!

If your TV has a digital tuner but doesn't get enough signal a "converter box" is useless. You would want a better antenna and/or a signal booster.
The sensitivity of the TV in the TV might not be very good. In that case an external ATSC tuner of better quality would get you more channels. It would have an HDMI output so you wouldn't connect it to the antenna input of the TV.
If you are trying to get the TV to see the converter box on channel 3 or 4 it would need to have an NTSC analog tuner built in. If you can set it to that you may be able to see the output of the converter box. You may still have to run a scan with the converter box already turned on to allow the TV to see the box.

reinarose

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
Thank you! So the original information, that a converter box would help, was just bad. I think the tuner in my Vizio TV is going bad because the antenna gets 60+ stations most of the time. However, it will be fine for 6 hours and then when I turn off the TV, they are gone when I turn it back on. Antenna is not moved. When I rescan I get 3 stations and have to turn the TV off again and scan several more times to get the 60+ stations, including ones I don't want, back. But neither off-air antenna can get ABC (not a surprise) here. I've just cut the cable and expect I'll get Sling shortly. I really appreciate your clear and quick explanation!

reinarose

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
Could be the channel memory rather than the tuner itself.
Check with shopjimmy.com
They sell replacement boards and are very helpful.
Thank you for the suggestion. This wasn't that expensive a Vizio smart TV 5 years ago, and it is tempting to try a different antenna. I live in such a busy urban area that I fear environmental issues cause loss as much as anything else. Wind, even heavy trucks are felt inside this apartment. I appreciate the time you spent referring us.

Status
Not open for further replies.