can cheatengine give adware, viruses, or malware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebest21445

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015
my friends told me to download cheatengine for a game and when i went to the website i searched on google, i clicked the download cheatengine 6.5.1 and then i went to the installation.it said download chromium and make yahoo my default search engine. i clicked exit when i saw that because i didnt want to download it. in the beginning when i reset my pc to defaults it said sync all what i had on my other pc through my network and im not sure if i download that adware cheatengine was going to add like that "chromium" software, will it go onto my other computer where i didnt do anything with cheatengine on?

Solution

techgeek

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Wouldn't you just love some one to infect dirty cheat software with a script once installed it set the system for reboot. On reboot the system the script would execute and delete the OS partition and format it.

Actually that outcome is still too good for cheaters.

thebest21445

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015

since im connected to the same microsoft account on both my laptop and desktop will the files automatically transfer over somehow?

Belphegore

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
Well since no one else is answering your question seriously...

Anything you download can potentially contain adware/viruses. Some software asks if you want to install something additional like Chromium, this is why you should pay attention while spam clicking through the installation process.

Just run a virus scan, then CC Cleaner and Spybot. You'll be fine. Be careful where you get scripts from, only get them through trusted sources like the official Cheatengine forum.

thebest21445

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015

Yes I had checked it and I did not download cheat engine but I'm mainly asking since I'm connected to my Microsoft account on my laptop and desktop. Do files automatically transfer over to my desktop when i download things because in the beginning when I had my laptop on factory settings it said if I wanted my current Microsoft settings synced to this device and I clicked yes.

Belphegore

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

The files don't transfer, no. It just syncs your settings.

Solution
G

gosh dumb people everywhere... the guys talking here seem to have never downloaded anything... just click to install cheat engine, read everything very carefully, when you see something to install avira or avast, or any other program (those are called offers and is this way how the developer of cheat engine and so many hundreds of companies make money), there is a checkbox always checked. just untick that checkbox and no software except cheat engine will be installed.

Jonathan_166

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
It is safe, all Norton was complaining about was some adware that was in the temp cache before install which it cleaned out, so its pretty clean, and adware is usually simple to remove.

This program does have a large number of people behind it, so its not gonna nuke your PC clean, that would damage its reputation and NO one would download it again, those viruses are installed onto hidden trainers down in the deep web... THOSE are the ones you don't even open the web page for...

Also, this program is called cheat engine... but that doesn't mean you have to cheat with it, its like some people are dull enough that they don't look at what the program does, all it does is modify memory inside the RAM for any .exe... It could be used to fix problems too, its a TOOL....

Status
Not open for further replies.