Can i change CPU on a laptop

chappiemwoan

Great
Jun 29, 2018
So i have this msi laptop with an nvidia gtx950m i5-4210 2.90 GHz quad core and i want to change my i5 to an i7 but don't know if its possible to change it. I'm fine with my graphics card btw. Thank you really much if you're wanting to help me because I know nothing about pc's. And can u change from quad to hexa core?

Solution
run cpu-z and look at the packaging, if contains either lga or pga you can do it easily.

if it contains bg, no you can't do it directly.

let's say, it's pga and you can do it, you need to find a i7 4xxx series mobile CPU. usually i would do is to find w/e CPU is available for the highest SKU for your laptop model and get that.

zyh1987

Proper
Mar 16, 2018
run cpu-z and look at the packaging, if contains either lga or pga you can do it easily.

if it contains bg, no you can't do it directly.

let's say, it's pga and you can do it, you need to find a i7 4xxx series mobile CPU. usually i would do is to find w/e CPU is available for the highest SKU for your laptop model and get that.

Solution

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Most likely not but some can be upgraded, if it can the most you can get is a quad core 4th gen mobile i7, but that might be to powerful for your laptop's cooling solution, so keep that in mind. And your motherboard needs to be able to support the new cpu.

i5-4210U Not upgradeable
i5-4210Y Not upgradeable
i5-4210M Upgradeable