can I change the thermal paste in my alienware?

chitown_marc

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
My Alienware is overheating and once it gets to 75*C, its performance is seriously affected. Only when it gets back to 60*C does the performance return to the level it should be. In my research, I found the problem could be the thermal paste has dehydrated to the point it can no longer absorb the heat emanating from the CPU or GPU. Can I open my Alienware to clean the old paste and replace it with a new one?

Solution
Hello... Yes... use rubbing alcohol as a low cost cleaning agent... Yes you are correct thermal paste can Dry out, and needs to be "Wet' to transfer the heat best.

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
You can, and if you search around their website you may even find a service manual to aid your disassembly. I managed to download one for my 14, very detailed I was quite impressed.

chitown_marc

Commendable
Oct 16, 2016
This is a two year old laptop from Dell. I am wondering if, before even considering how to change the paste, I will be able to open it. In any case, any and all information is welcomed.

It seems to me the thermal paste needs changing because of the drop in performance that I described in the setup to the question (performance drops my system's temperature reaches 75*C, or 167*F, & the performance "returns", as the temperature goes back to 60*C, or 140*F)