can I connect my new smart tv to regular cable with no hdmi ?

Solution
The title of your post asks if you can connect your TV to the cable without a box. Yes you can but depending on your provider you may not get any channels. Might as well try, Connect the cable, chose cable instead of over the air and run channel scan. You will get what you get.
The text mentions a "digital converter"? If you have cable and they provide a set top box
it should be connected via HDMI if you can but you could connect it via the any of the other connections it has. Many do not have RF or antenna coax outputs but might have regular composite video outputs which could be used. If you have an HDTV and and HD box you might as well use HDMI and get the best picture you can. A non HD picture will look awful compared to the HD.

inerax

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Regular cable? Do you mean coax?

My HDTV does not have a coax connection. You could hook up analog connections, you are not required to use HDMI.

I would use the yellow, red and white connections. (if i was going to hook up a non HD connection)

Also, just wondering, why dont you want a HD converter and HDMI cable?

The title of your post asks if you can connect your TV to the cable without a box. Yes you can but depending on your provider you may not get any channels. Might as well try, Connect the cable, chose cable instead of over the air and run channel scan. You will get what you get.
The text mentions a "digital converter"? If you have cable and they provide a set top box
it should be connected via HDMI if you can but you could connect it via the any of the other connections it has. Many do not have RF or antenna coax outputs but might have regular composite video outputs which could be used. If you have an HDTV and and HD box you might as well use HDMI and get the best picture you can. A non HD picture will look awful compared to the HD.

Solution

New smart tv owner

Estimable
Feb 9, 2015
I have the same question - I bought a smart tv (old tube died), but my cable box does not have an HDMI connection. My cable company said I could use a coaxial cable to connect. However, I'm getting some blurriness in the picture (did you know tree trunks even move!). I don't know whether it's b/c of the cable or b/c of the refresh rate, which is 60Hz. I thought a Samsung would give better picture quality. Any ideas/suggestions?