Can I get HD torrents on my TV?

Neoflyte

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
My old laptop is what I use to run torrent movies on my 1080p TV, but of course, with a 1280 x 720 resolution, the laptop doesn't cut it (movie is low quality and doesn't fill the screen).

Is there a way I can get torrents to my play on my TV at 1080p without buying a new TV or laptop? or at least cheaper than that?

If it's time to buy a new TV, so be it, but this one still works fine.

TV is a old Sony KDS-50A2000 and ugh, no USB ports.

Thanks in advance Oh Wise and Helpful Gods of TH!

Solution
Your TV cannot play torrents directly. So, no.

Suggest you do some deep investigation into exactly what 'torrents' are and aren't.
The laptop display resolution has nothing to do with the TV. Now what the video card can output on the laptop is another story.

Torrent = the index and transfer method of the file.
The movie itself would be a normal video format: mkv, mp4, avi, etc.

You can get a set-top box like a popcorn hour, wd tv or even better a box that supports XBMC, plug an external into that with the files on it, and then play it on your tv and then your laptop will have nothing to do with playing the media just downloading it.

This would overcome resolution limitation, but if his laptop has old, low end specs it wont overcome that problem.

That's why I suggested in getting a streaming set-top box that supports an external drive and mkv files.